Re: If you had electric heat and a heat storage unit - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
It would still be worth your while to "drive the grid" from your solar array and use a heat pump to warm your hide. Thermodynamicists use "availability" as an indication of the power that can be extracted from an energy source. A swimming pool full of 110F water has a lot of energy in it, but you can extract a lot more work from a Hot-tub full of 1100F water (under great pressure). The availability of electric energy is very high.
That said, the efficiency of solar cells is quite low, only 10 to 15% of the solar energy impinging on the cells is converted to electricity, the rest turns to heat. Maybe one should rig the solar array so that the waste heat can be captured too!!!
posted by 24.166.8...
Posts in this Thread:
- I think this is cool - Solar Power, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:46:031
- Re: I think this is cool - Solar Power, Dean, Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:01:51
- cool - Solar Power, jp, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:54:04
- Correction: 400 Volts Startup..., Scott Paterson , Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:35:40
- Solar Power - NJ Rebates, Reuven, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:07:33
- Excellent. Well done. nt, Jo K, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:01:14
- Scott, was that Astropower through Home Depot?, andy , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:29:05
- Sweet! Would that be effective on the East Coast? (NY), Jason, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:10:09
- Estimated pay-back time?, John Davies, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:32:16
- care to share the cost with us?, MJP, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:08:45
- Sure thing!, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:19:32
- Re: Payback, BobS, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:36:51
- If you had electric heat and a heat storage unit, saw, Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:38:05
- $40 to $60 a month?, MisplacedYankee , Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:53:07
- Well, duh...., Scott Paterson , Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:45:52
- UPDATE!! The sun came out - 1,600 Watts, Scott Paterson , Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:02:31
- How many volts does each panel produce?,,,,, zeke, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:52:48
- Very Cool; subsidized power rocks!, WASSAAB, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:46:01
- Awesome indeed! Long dream of mine.., Aaron Gilbert, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:11:00
- Interesting indeed. I have been toying with the ide to, Anders, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:41:21
- Awesome!, Mr. Science, Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:05:09
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | RandomScreening.com
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!