1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement done, hints - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 95 Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement done, hints
Posted by jeffo2 [Email] (more from jeffo2) on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:58:28
In Reply to: 1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement procedure, jeffo2, Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:03:23
Just did this for the first time. Here are a few hints that may help others.
1) PB BLASTER is your friend. Remove the exhaust top front heat shield and hit exhaust nuts with PB Blaster as soon as you start the job, or night before.
2) Make sure that you have 12mm closed end wrench with AND without ratchet. Also a 1/2 size 12mm socket if you can find / make. These will help.
3) You don't have to remove the oil filter, but there one bolt that it would be nice for. I did not and did manage to get the job done.
4) Take you time. More of finding the right tool combination for each bolt.
5) Two banjo bolts on the turbo were really on there. Needed to use a mini-acetylene torch to eat up.
6) Have extracting sockets and bits ready just in case there are issues getting bolts / nuts off.
Turbo had quite a bit of end-play, but spun fine. Classic symptoms, blue smoke at start up and from time to time when driving. It was also making a bit of noise at idle.
posted by 24.160.252...
Posts in this Thread:
- 1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement procedure, jeffo2, Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:03:23
- Re: 1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement procedure, John Grimes, Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:49:22
- 1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement done, hints, jeffo2, Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:58:28 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: 1999 9 5 I4 non-areo turbo replacement procedure, JG, Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:47:03
- try this, Link, Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:40:16
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!