Re: Replacement advice? - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
10/20 Breaking News: SAAB Opens Plant in Indiana |
10/13 Saabnet.com Celebrates 33 Years on the Internet! |
9/29 Photo of the Year Open Submissions
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Sure. I used a hot-air desoldering tool, but with an 8-pin package you might be able to get away with just a soldering iron. First, use solder braid and a chisel tip iron to remove as much solder as you can. Then run the iron across all of the pins until all the solder is molten. Quickly push the chip aside until is is free. Rub the iron and braid across the pads until all the solder is removed. Clean the board with alcohol and apply liquid flux to the pads. Put the chip in place so that the dot on the chip matches the dot on the board. Switch to a soldering iron (or change the tip) to one that comes to a sharp point. Hold the chip to the board with tweezers (just push down to keep the chip from moving, don't try to hold it). Touch the iron to one of the pins on the corner. Make sure all the pins are still in place on the pads. Go around to all the other pins and solder them in place. Add a little bit of solder to the first pin you set. Clean all the excess flux with a tooth brush and alcohol and carefully examine the joints with a magnifier to make sure there are no bridges.
The key is to use very, very little solder. Sometimes, just a little solder on the iron is enough. If you discover a bridge, use the braid to remove it.
Check out some of the YouTube videos on how to replace surface mount chips. Once you get the board out you will realize that everything is really, really tiny and close together. If you are going to be doing the Bifocal thing, you might think how you are going to see before you start.
Hope this helps.
->Posting last edited on Fri, 1 Mar 2019 15:41:55.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Radio Code fix., Gene N , Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:29:397
- Re: Radio Code fix., Rodewaryer , Mon, 13 Jul 2020 18:38:59
- I have put a ad in the Classifieds for the Radio Code repair., Gene N , Fri, 8 Mar 2019 15:48:15
- You beat me too it., dmz789qqq, Sun, 3 Mar 2019 07:39:49
- And a means to re-use undivorced radios too?, MI-Roger , Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:53:01
- Outstanding research and write up, SWEDECAR , Wed, 27 Feb 2019 09:38:06
- Replacement advice?, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Wed, 27 Feb 2019 06:33:41
- Re: Radio Code fix., CraigU , Wed, 27 Feb 2019 05:18:56
- Any interest of this repair as a service?, Gene N , Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:45:521
- Re: Any interest of this repair as a service?, Jeff Svare, Fri, 18 Jun 2021 08:39:06
- Re: Any interest of this repair as a service?, Bernie , Sat, 2 Mar 2019 16:53:26
- Re: Any interest of this repair as a service?, Jeff, Fri, 1 Mar 2019 07:39:18
- Gene-ious!!, K. Daehnke, Thu, 28 Feb 2019 18:40:20
- yes!, bobc , Thu, 28 Feb 2019 06:42:02
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!