Two reasons why it is a bad idea - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Two reasons why it is a bad idea
Posted by Ari [Email] (more from Ari) on Mon, 25 May 2009 18:09:39
In Reply to: Re: Water as coolant in summer, NHWayne, Mon, 25 May 2009 11:30:51
(1) A 50/50 ratio of antifreeze/water has a HIGHER boiling point than pure water alone - a full 6 degrees C/11 degrees F. So you want to keep your car from boiling over, use anti-freeze.
(2) Corrosion. As the others have noted, anti-freeze has anti-corrosion properties that distilled water does not. Yes, distilled water shouldn't cause corrosion, but the cooling system has stuff in it that causes corrosion, and you want to inhibit that action.
Bottom line - keep the anti-freeze mixture.
posted by 192.249.47...
Posts in this Thread:
- Water as coolant in summer, steve, Mon, 25 May 2009 10:21:28
- Re: Water as coolant in summer, Simon S, Fri, 29 May 2009 11:05:28
- Absolutely Not! n/m, TG, Tue, 26 May 2009 06:54:46
- Re: Water as coolant in summer, Larry West , Mon, 25 May 2009 19:13:15
- Re: Water as coolant in summer, NHWayne, Mon, 25 May 2009 11:30:51
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!