Color me unlikely - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
VWs used to be a lot more than they are today. When I worked for VW of America I had a '78 Scirocco, then after leaving the company, an '86 GTI. They were good cars, very reliable. After about 1989 things went downhill, IMHO. Plus, when I worked for VW, I saw the corporate attitude toward customers (contempt), and knowing that, see no reason to go back.
I have only one friend who has a VW today--a 4-5 yr old Tiguan. He's had a couple electrical issues, but is also used to high repair costs as he had a string of used Mercedes before the VW.
VWs drive well, you can feel the German lineage, but as cars they now are average at best. They just don't stand out the way they used to. Most cars in the various price classes VW plays in ride, drive and handle as well for normal use. And are cheaper to own and maintain.
I only buy used cars, and I'd buy Japanese or domestic before I'd buy a VW. I think a VW can be a good choice if you plan to lease it so you have it under warranty, but you never want to have to pay for service, especially as the car ages.
1999 9-3 SE auto (daily driver)
1996 9000 CSE 5 speed (soon to leave)
2003 9-5 Linear SportWagon (wife's)
1984 C900 4 door Base model (RIP)
1995 9000 CS (sold)
1996 9000 CS (RIP)
2000 9-3 SE (RIP)
Posts in this Thread:
- Would You Buy a Used VW?, EGD , Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:42:19
- Good timing,,,, Mike Lynch , Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:17:04
- Color me unlikely, Noel , Thu, 24 Dec 2015 07:25:25 <-- Viewing This Message
- Nope, JerseySaab , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:22:39
- Re: Would You Buy a Used VW?, Justin VanAbrahams , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:44:59
- No Jettas for me..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 10:57:58
- Re: Would You Buy a Used VW?, IndySaaber , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:30:58
- Re: Would You Buy a Used VW?, ahanson , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:30:03
- Re: Would You Buy a Used VW?, stopsaabn , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 04:13:26
- Well, I found a very low mileage 9-5 in the SF area, MI-Roger , Tue, 22 Dec 2015 03:25:29
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!