It seems that there could be two options for mechanics - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
One would be free: just a listing of biz name, location and a phone number. Nothing extra. Would only be there by request of business or customer suggestion.
A second would be paid with biz name, location, phone number, customer comments, description of the business, link to the company's website, years in operation, maybe a photo or two, etc.
In practical terms many of these listings probably matter most to people who need service while on a trip. After all, most of us know our local options, by experience, word of mouth or just driving around.
For emergencies, I have three personal examples:
1: Was driving across country with one of my daughters and developed a bad PS leak. Didn't have a smartphone and couldn't get on line anywhere. Called my other daughter back home and she went to the TSN mechanics listing, and found some options within a couple hours drive. Called one (happened to be RoadTested Saabs in Indy). They could help so we got there and they fixed us up with a used part that is still on the car 75K miles later. ($300)
2: Family trip to a wedding in Canada. Fuel pump in the 9-5 dies. Called AAA, who wanted to tow us to a Chevy dealer. Smartphone link to TSN and I got the listing for an indy Saab shop in Portland, ME. It was nearly an hour behind us, but was closest. I called, they said come on in they'd fix it. And they did, in 2 hours. But without a basic listing we'd have been hosed--and missed a family wedding. (~$300)
3. Elder daughter coming back from 16 months away, all of it in my '96 9K. (The same one that needed the PS pump in Indy). She's getting a weird noise and car is shifting badly. I do a TSN search and have her go to a shop in Kansas City or St. Louis (Forget which). They find the problem--a crack on bracket for upper engine mount. They re-weld and she's on her way home. ($65)
In each case, the basic info was all I needed. I didn't need anything more, but without knowing where to go we'd have been stranded at least overnight on the first two trips. I think about doing long trips in our Saabs, or having my daughters do them, but not knowing shops to go to if there's a problem means working without a net. We go to Nova Scotia several times a year and I cross my fingers each time because a reliable Saab shop is not available for most of the route and I don't know where to go if I need a repair. A basic listing would be a huge benefit.
Yes, if there are two options I know many, if not most, shops will just do a free listing. But at least some will pony up the $25 for the larger one. And for TSN members, having a basic list for shops while away from home would be invaluable. In fact, how about if the free list was only available to members?
Scott, If you are willing to allow a basic free list, I will maintain it. Just let me know.
->Posting last edited on Sat, 22 Oct 2016 07:49:54.
1999 9-3 SE auto (daily driver)
1996 9000 CSE 5 speed (soon to leave)
2003 9-5 Linear SportWagon (wife's)
1984 C900 4 door Base model (RIP)
1995 9000 CS (sold)
1996 9000 CS (RIP)
2000 9-3 SE (RIP)
Posts in this Thread:
- Saabnet feature wishlist, Sarunas , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 06:54:571
- It seems that there could be two options for mechanics, Noel , Sat, 22 Oct 2016 07:47:56 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Saabnet feature wishlist, Scott Paterson , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:02:07
- Re: Saabnet feature wishlist, Keith , Sun, 16 Oct 2016 11:05:111
- Re: Saabnet feature wishlist, Sarunas , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:28:46
- Re: Saabnet feature wishlist, SWEDECAR , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:46:28
- Re: Saabnet feature wishlist, Sarunas , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:58:38
- Photos, saabsince 93b , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:24:06
- Re: Photos, Snowmobile , Sun, 16 Oct 2016 08:02:541
- Re: Photos, saabsince 93b , Sun, 16 Oct 2016 14:36:45
- Re: Photos, Snowmobile , Mon, 17 Oct 2016 04:22:381
- Re: Photos, SWEDECAR , Sun, 16 Oct 2016 15:56:372
- It works well for me as it is., SWEDECAR , Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:21:431
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!