How many gears does one need? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
The 5 gears in my 9K and in my wife's 9-5 automatic SW seem fine. Then I get into a U Wreck Em and find it has 6 or 7. All they are is window dressing for fuel economy. No performance gains that I can tell. I've been renting from Silvercar when I can, which gets me an Audi A4. I think they have 6 or so gears and they have either paddle shifters or a slap stick so they can be shifted manually. But once in top gear I think I go down 3 gears to get strong acceleration. It sure ain't my 9K Stage 2.
IMHO the number of gears we see today is 2 things: fuel economy and manufacturers trying to keep up with each other. And automatics are the way it's gonna be. Get used to it. I don't think a manual tranny will be available on anything new in another 5 years.
1999 9-3 SE auto (daily driver)
1996 9000 CSE 5 speed (soon to leave)
2003 9-5 Linear SportWagon (wife's)
1984 C900 4 door Base model (RIP)
1995 9000 CS (sold)
1996 9000 CS (RIP)
2000 9-3 SE (RIP)
Posts in this Thread:
- Are 6 speeds necessary ?, Cannonball, Wed, 22 Feb 2017 19:31:49
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ? I hope so., andym, Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:51:06
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, IndySaaber , Mon, 27 Feb 2017 10:09:56
- How many gears does one need?, Noel , Sun, 26 Feb 2017 07:23:31 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, cheaptech , Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:49:04
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, AdamD, Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:47:20
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, JMJinNC, Thu, 23 Feb 2017 07:00:39
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, Snowmobile , Thu, 23 Feb 2017 06:53:33
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, GFW3pedals , Thu, 23 Feb 2017 06:33:47
- Re: Are 6 speeds necessary ?, Justin VanAbrahams , Wed, 22 Feb 2017 20:51:25
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!