I occasionally do this if I think to... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
It is common around here when we get freezing rain. If a lot of water freezes around the blades, it can be a real pita to get them released prior to scraping. That said, I usually start the car, turn on the heat aimed at the windshield immediately to make that job easier.
Generally one does need to lift wipers prior to clearing off snow anyway, so doing so in advance is maybe helpful. It is common up here, so this is not just a southern thing, but honestly I think the only benefit is during freezing rain.
I guess subarus (not sure what vintage this started) place a heating pad under the wiper area to melt stuff off. That would be very useful. It looks almost like there is something similar on the 9-5, but I'm not sure that it does that? Especially when driving and a chunk of ice gets under the wiper (resulting in massive streaks), to be able to melt that off would be awesome!
Posts in this Thread:
- Why do drivers raise their wiper arms when parking in winter?, MI-Roger , Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:38:40
- I never saw it until I saw a photo...in California., Noel , Thu, 4 Jan 2018 14:05:35
- Relevant image from Erie, PA, fdw201 , Wed, 27 Dec 2017 04:38:221
- And in other seasons -, BobD, Mon, 25 Dec 2017 12:46:05
- Re: Why do drivers raise their wiper arms when parking in winter?, stopsaabn , Mon, 25 Dec 2017 04:38:15
- Re: Why do drivers raise their wiper arms when parking in winter?, Bill Homer, Sun, 24 Dec 2017 21:12:31
- Oh no, you didn't go there did you? lol, GFW3pedals , Sun, 24 Dec 2017 13:32:24
- Re: Why do drivers raise their wiper arms when parking in winter?, JerseySaab , Sun, 24 Dec 2017 13:06:37
- Re: Why do drivers raise their wiper arms when parking in winter?, pme , Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:50:50
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!