It's a question that can not be answered without omniscience, which none of us mere mortals have. Likewise, what an "ideal society" is like is not something that can be answered without merely proving the limits of our knowledge and imagination. "Land of milk of honey" was something the biblical crowd struggled 40 years in search of . . . today, $10 can buy enough milk and honey to cover your kitchen floor.
30 years ago, 4.77MHz was cutting edge technology for PC, and it cost $10,000. If the government had enforced an edict that every family with children should have a computer at taxpayer expense . . . we'd probably never have the 4000MHz computers that we have today for less than $500, as the innovative companies would have been taxed to support the dinosaurs in the industry.
Life is full of unknowns. It is the need to discover and unmask these unknowns that have given us the liberty and freedom as individuals to experiment . . . otherwise, if humanity really did know all there was to know, totalitarian regimes like the soviets would indeed have buried us. We simply do not know what the ultimate "ideal" is, aside from "death," when the Marxian goal of "to each his needs and from each his wants" is achieved in double nullity: none and none.
The real choices in life we face is between better vs. worse. In that case, less government/monopoly-control of resources is certainly better than more.
posted by 76.118.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Car company bailouts, No Snaab , Thu, 5 May 2011 13:19:51
- GM to add 4,000 jobs, duking it out with Toyota, No Snaab , Wed, 11 May 2011 07:58:09
- Important to see the big picture, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 06:16:54
- Doubly Ironic, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 07:00:56
- So why don't you tell us, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 09:45:54
- He doesn't deal in "reality", No Snaab , Fri, 6 May 2011 11:17:12
- Re: So why don't you tell us, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 10:46:21
- You didn't answer the questions, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 11:17:54
- Re: You didn't answer the questions, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 11:43:04
- Re: You (still) didn't answer the questions, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 12:49:13
- He won't answer, No Snaab , Fri, 6 May 2011 14:12:45
- What is Heaven like?, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 15:04:00
- less vs more vs balance, James, Fri, 6 May 2011 15:31:40
- Balance is okay, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 16:10:30
- What color is the sky in your world?, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 16:24:48
- Blue, Black, Grey, White, Orange, Pink, Red,, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 16:46:55
- So without the government stepping in, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 19:55:24
- Re: Blue, Black, Grey, White, Orange, Pink, Red,, James, Fri, 6 May 2011 18:11:52
- False Choice, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 13:33:38
- Re: So why don't you tell us...Been there done that an, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 10:22:45
- That's fiscally responsible and also well stated yet, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 08:19:33
- Re: Important to see the big picture...Well said n/m, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:03
- Don't kid yourself, BTG88, Thu, 5 May 2011 21:59:15
- Gov't role in today's economy, adl6009, Thu, 5 May 2011 19:17:20
- Ironic timing, "new" GM is caught stuffing channel, Reality, Thu, 5 May 2011 13:41:26
- Macro econ. vs the guy at the plant, AlS , Thu, 5 May 2011 18:16:21
- Keynesianism is Macro Econ, duh!, Reality, Thu, 5 May 2011 18:27:34
- "I address car topics under a different user name.", Steve T., Fri, 6 May 2011 08:02:22
- Keynes vs. Keynes..., James, Fri, 6 May 2011 06:49:05
- Re: Keynesianism is Macro Econ, duh!, kkelley, Thu, 5 May 2011 20:37:44
- Apparently stuffing the distribution channel works, Paul B., Thu, 5 May 2011 16:33:57
- Re: Ironic timing, "new" GM is caught stuffing channel, kkelley, Thu, 5 May 2011 14:50:16
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!