I'm not at all against free-ride by private individuals. I volunteered at food pantries quite often when I was younger, and nowadays I donate more material than my time. I also go to church from time to time, and donate when the plate is passing my way. I don't see any gun-toting anti-free-ride enforcers. The modern day social religion is worse than the pre-enlightenment tithe-collecting state-church! They only forcibly collected 10% vs. today's 20-50% on average. Territorial anti-free-ride, to the extent that it is enforceable, is literally Mafia logic: the Mafia engaged in plenty of those "charitable" collections knocking on the doors of businesses and homes.
If you have something to offer to the less fortunate, you shouldn't be afraid of free riders: they are supposed to be free riders; if you are afraid of free riders, perhaps you are offering too much. A bureaucratic layer wedged between the donors and the recipients only serves to consume resources, and to the extent that it is monopolistic, will eventually become corrupt self-servers.
I am however much more against giving free-ride to political machinations. Your lack of understanding on what Keynesianism really illustrates why public education alone is not the answer. Public education in the hands of bureaucratic monopoly is essentially self-serving brain-washing. Most kids going through Macro Econ 101 probably also come away with:
1. equating economy with GDP, which is false;
2. aggregating "supply" and "demand," not realizing the fine texture of multiple layers of human economic endeavors; e.g. government stimulus through road building is literally a disaster for private enterprises that need asphalt as input; government stimulus to prop up GM hurts Ford, Toyota and Honda, and all who need to buy cars, and all who are not union members and would take carmaking jobs at lower pay than jacked up union wages (employer would have more jobs to offer if the required pay were lower)
3. Counter-cyclicity is not what defines Keynesianism; there are plenty private market participants who try to be counter-cylical
4. What defines Keynesianism is in postulating that only government coercion through fiat money power is capable of counter economic cycles. Then they proceed to exacerbate economic cycles when put in power.
Education in that instance is essentially regime indoctrination, not much different from theological seminaries in the pre-enlightenment era.
Liberty is defined by the freedom to choose, both the freedom to participate and the freedom not to participate. If a set of social programs can not attract enough people to donate to support it, but instead have to hire guns and chains to force people to pay to particular service providers, perhaps the programs are just too pervasive and stand as open invitation for corruption. Inevitably, "the government" becomes little more than the leg brokers of those particular service providers that render government services; there's your answer why certain corporations came to dominate the government.
posted by 76.118.39...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- Car company bailouts, No Snaab , Thu, 5 May 2011 13:19:51
- GM to add 4,000 jobs, duking it out with Toyota, No Snaab , Wed, 11 May 2011 07:58:09
- Important to see the big picture, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 06:16:54
- Doubly Ironic, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 07:00:56
- So why don't you tell us, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 09:45:54
- He doesn't deal in "reality", No Snaab , Fri, 6 May 2011 11:17:12
- Re: So why don't you tell us, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 10:46:21
- You didn't answer the questions, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 11:17:54
- Re: You didn't answer the questions, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 11:43:04
- Re: You (still) didn't answer the questions, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 12:49:13
- He won't answer, No Snaab , Fri, 6 May 2011 14:12:45
- What is Heaven like?, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 15:04:00
- less vs more vs balance, James, Fri, 6 May 2011 15:31:40
- Balance is okay, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 16:10:30
- What color is the sky in your world?, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 16:24:48
- Blue, Black, Grey, White, Orange, Pink, Red,, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 16:46:55
- So without the government stepping in, Noel , Fri, 6 May 2011 19:55:24
- Re: Blue, Black, Grey, White, Orange, Pink, Red,, James, Fri, 6 May 2011 18:11:52
- False Choice, Reality, Fri, 6 May 2011 13:33:38
- Re: So why don't you tell us...Been there done that an, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 10:22:45
- That's fiscally responsible and also well stated yet, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 08:19:33
- Re: Important to see the big picture...Well said n/m, Joeychess, Fri, 6 May 2011 06:22:03
- Don't kid yourself, BTG88, Thu, 5 May 2011 21:59:15
- Gov't role in today's economy, adl6009, Thu, 5 May 2011 19:17:20
- Ironic timing, "new" GM is caught stuffing channel, Reality, Thu, 5 May 2011 13:41:26
- Macro econ. vs the guy at the plant, AlS , Thu, 5 May 2011 18:16:21
- Keynesianism is Macro Econ, duh!, Reality, Thu, 5 May 2011 18:27:34
- "I address car topics under a different user name.", Steve T., Fri, 6 May 2011 08:02:22
- Keynes vs. Keynes..., James, Fri, 6 May 2011 06:49:05
- Re: Keynesianism is Macro Econ, duh!, kkelley, Thu, 5 May 2011 20:37:44
- Apparently stuffing the distribution channel works, Paul B., Thu, 5 May 2011 16:33:57
- Re: Ironic timing, "new" GM is caught stuffing channel, kkelley, Thu, 5 May 2011 14:50:16
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!