1) Aid varies all over the place. One kid got half, one got 10%.
2) So apply to a lot of schools that you're interested in.
3) Early action may not be a good idea-- you'll miss the chance
to compare aid packages.
4) Apply for as many scholarships as you can -- even $500 or $1000 helps.
It is hard to get the kids to do this though.
5) Don't forget transportation costs. Not just getting the student
there and back but mom and dad getting to visit once or twice.
6) Visit schools if you can. That can either keep motivation up, or
rule out places that just don't feel right.
7) Keep after the paperwork even after you're admitted. Follow up on
every award and payment, you have to look out for yourself. Make sure
the student adds mom and dad to the billing office login if possible.
8) Figure out a money-transfer mechanism. Debit cards are ok, but a
checking account at a bank with branches at school and in the parent's
town makes things a lot easier. Wire transfers are either expensive
or (i.e. popmoney which is free) slow.
9) The dorm is probably ok for the first year, but after that (depending on
temperament), sharing a house can work out cheaper, EVEN IF YOU PAY RENT
Not sure what else. The whole thing, getting them in and through, is
a challenge. We've got two in college right now, but can see the light
at the end of the tunnel.
posted by 66.160.121...
Posts in this Thread:
Members can receive an alert when someone posts in this thread.
- OT: College Application Process, MI-Roger , Mon, 20 Aug 2012 03:47:08
- one caution --merit scholarships, timbrown, Tue, 21 Aug 2012 05:53:02
- Thanks for the comments, MI-Roger , Tue, 21 Aug 2012 03:31:38
- Re: OT: College Application Process, DadOfTwo, Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:26:19
- dont forget uncle sam..., fwd84, Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:18:03
- Good list., Noel , Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:30:39
- Re: OT: College Application Process, Dale , Mon, 20 Aug 2012 07:15:54
Post a Followup
The content on this site may not be republished without permission. Copyright © 1988-2012 - The Saab Network - saabnet.com.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Donations
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, green links, and bottom of the page banners.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!