Re: Expand in Europe, attract younger import buyers - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Most Recently Edited Saabnet.com Photo Galleries]
Re: Expand in Europe, attract younger import buyers
Posted by Justin VanAbrahams [Email] (more from Justin VanAbrahams) on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:04:48
In Reply to: Expand in Europe, attract younger import buyers, A1-turbo, Thu, 21 Feb 2019 06:43:14
Inferred from the articles, it seems GM's entire goal was production. They referred repeatedly to Saab's ~100k unit idle capacity in materials of the time. I haven't found (recently, I went looking) any references to access to buyers or technology. GM's original goal was Jaguar for tech (XJ40, AJV8) and prestige, but Jag wasn't interested in a co-ownership. GM ended up "winning" that partnership with Saab, and then the NG900 happened.
Saab had NO technology in 1990. The c900 was basically thirteen years old, the 9000 eight. Way past their freshness date in the industry. Saab had nothing in the pipeline. Most of Saab's tech was OE'd from somewhere else (Teves, Bosch, or ATE) and common to lots of cars, with the exception of Trionic. I recall reading that GM had interest in Trionic, but I'm not sure that's actually true. GM's DIS had been available domestically for several years in 1990, and while it did not have ion-based knock sensing or active boost control, that technology was of limited use for a company that sold almost entirely all naturally-aspirated pushrod motors that ran on 87 octane gas.
I haven't (re)read on what ended up pushing GM to acquire the second 50% a decade later. I suspect at that point the considerations had changed in some way, or maybe GM was in too deep to extricate itself. There's probably some information to be had on that.
This may sound like I'm harshing on Saab but I'm not. It just reaffirms my never-wavering opinion that GM's investment of Saab had nothing to do with Saab and everything to do with GM setting up the pieces so it could sell Cadillac and Chevy, more or less like it always does. I guess the final outcome was always obvious, it's just that from an outside perspective watching GM bumble around for basically two decades with Saab's inventory *looks* incredibly clumsy. I guess we just need to understand it wasn't ineptitude, it *was* evil. Well, "evil" in the sense that corporations are legally bound to pursue shareholder value at costs.
posted by 66.60.157...
Posts in this Thread:
- Anatomy of a Murder: How Saab Was Sent to an Early Grave, Scott Paterson , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 10:04:18
- Great Discussion: Comments and a Question, Aero51, Sat, 2 Mar 2019 09:53:15
- It's bigger than GM, Bloodnose , Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:43:431
- Not a bad article..., JerseySaab , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:08:511
- Re: Not a bad article... it's a really bad article, QuietTide , Mon, 18 Feb 2019 09:02:562
- Re: Not a bad article..., EGD , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:28:161
- Saab discounts, A1-turbo, Sat, 16 Feb 2019 05:45:10
- Re: Not a bad article..., JerseySaab , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:55:25
- Re: Not a bad article..., Scott Paterson , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:34:22
- Too far ahead of their time like Tesla, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:27:591
- Hatchbacks ahead of their time..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:07:551
- Re: Hatchbacks, A1-turbo, Wed, 20 Feb 2019 06:01:36
- 2nd car = Rabbit, Scott Paterson , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:56:54
- Re: Hatchbacks, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 09:52:44
- +1, mlc , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 06:49:16
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!