Mixed results with a performance downpipe in a cold climate - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
10/13 Saabnet.com Celebrates 33 Years on the Internet! Win a $133 Gift Card! |
9/29 Photo of the Year Open Submissions
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I installed one on my 2000 Base Sedan and it was mated to a Saab-Remus system - only 1/4-inch larger diameter than stock IIRC.
The downside is that the Catalyst and Rear O2 sensor are located near the firewall rather than near the front of the engine. The exhaust gasses have a much longer travel path and cool down more. Cooler exhaust gasses means the catalyst is not as efficient. Cold winter temperatures aggravate this situation even more.
Yes, a performance down-pipe will work on your car. But the smaller catalytic converter will age faster, cold temperatures will degrade its performance, and lots of miles driven will age the converter faster too.
After two years of ~25K miles annual driving, my performance cat started to throw the P0420 code in cold weather, indicating poor converter performance..
2008 9-5 Aero Sedan, sold at 227K miles
2006 9-3SC 2.0T - Wife's daily driver
2000 Viggen Convertible - Summer Fun Car
1964 Quantum IV Formula Car - Retirement project
2000 9-5lpt Sedan, sold at 318K miles
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- 2008 Wagon with No Boost, Roger (NAWC), Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:14:37
- Magnaflow? Walker? Need Recommendations, Roger (NAWC), Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:55:45
- What Size Bolts for Downpipe Flanges?, Roger (NAWC), Fri, 30 Mar 2018 05:50:36
- M8, bobc , Fri, 30 Mar 2018 06:17:50
- Re: 2008 Wagon with No Boost, CE, Thu, 29 Mar 2018 23:43:08
- Re: 2008 Wagon with No Boost, SWEDECAR , Thu, 29 Mar 2018 16:51:581
- Clogged Catalytic -- Need Recommendations, Roger (NAWC), Thu, 29 Mar 2018 17:55:53
- Re: Clogged Catalytic -- Need Recommendations, BruceM, Mon, 2 Apr 2018 13:12:37
- You're tougher than me, SWEDECAR , Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:42:07
- Mixed results with a performance downpipe in a cold climate, MI-Roger , Fri, 30 Mar 2018 05:56:01 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Clogged Catalytic -- Need Recommendations, Bernie , Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:57:16
- Re: 2008 Wagon with No Boost, Roger (NAWC), Thu, 29 Mar 2018 17:08:54
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!