Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body? - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
8/25 WIN A $100 GIFT CARD |
7/31 Member of the Year |
7/20 Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 95 Bulletin Board | BBFAQ |
Prev by Date | Next by Date | Post Followup ]
Member Login / Signup - Members see fewer ads. - Latest Member Gallery Photos
Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?
1 Saabers Like This Post!
Posted by siwyjohn (more from siwyjohn) on Thu, 10 Sep 2020 00:37:18
In Reply to: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, Macy, Wed, 9 Sep 2020 07:50:02
There is no rule for TB failing, because it depends on the temperature, vibrations, and driving style.
There are two issues with the design.
1. First is improper insulation material on the wires inside - it peels off (easy to fix). This is obviously a design flaw.
2. Second is breaking sliders in potentiometers - practically not DIY fixable (no such parts available). This is wear. It could be designed more robust but typical 15 years of service looks fine.
However generally speaking the design is well thought. Drive is brushless and direct (no breaking gears like in other cars). Bearings are good, sealing is fine. Potentiometers have multiple contact sliders for prolonged life. Generally if something in automotive lasts over 200kkm (yes I'm from Europe ;) ) then it's good. I've worked many years in automotive as a design engineer, so I know something about it.
Other cars with drive by wire also suffer TB failures and prices are similar.
Mine TB lasted 16 years and 290kkm (=180k miles) - slider and insulation failure.
posted by 80.50.141...
Posts in this Thread:
- Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, Macy, Wed, 9 Sep 2020 07:50:02
- Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, CE, Thu, 10 Sep 2020 20:02:09
- Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, Boris Bubbanov, Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:24:18
- Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, rdebets, Thu, 10 Sep 2020 03:43:29
- Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, siwyjohn, Thu, 10 Sep 2020 00:37:18 <-- Viewing This Message1
- 315k on original MY2000 TB, still going, dmz789qqq, Wed, 9 Sep 2020 09:07:27
- Re: Anyone still use the original Throttle Body?, tfreund289 , Wed, 9 Sep 2020 08:39:36
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!