Oil Pressure light and rattly valves, sudden onset - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
7/31 Member of the Year |
7/20 Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
7/20: Saab Convention Photos |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
A 1986 900T, 320k miles. Yesterday morning it drove normally. Four hours later, it started, but the oil pressure light didn't extinguish, and the engine was rattly at the valve cover area. Oil was about a quart low, I topped it off. Symptoms unchanged. I started and stopped a few times, possibly the rattling decreased somewhat.
It loses oil, I think through worn main seals. I replaced the oil cooler lines a couple of months ago, and that stopped a larger persistent leak. A quick check last night showed no pools of oil.
What could be the problem? My list of possibilities is
1.Bad oil pressure sensor.
2. broken or shorted oil sensor wire.
3. clogged or stuck open oil pressure relief valve
4. torn timing cover gasket. (timing cover bas never been removed)
5. Worn oil pump housing or gears. [it's been about 70k miles since I've had the oil pump off and then it looked fine.
6. Failure or clogging of an oil line under valve cover.
The key symptoms are lack of a pool of oil, the sudden onset of both the light and the rattling. It makes me think the oil flow isuddenly became impaired, and that points to the relief valve or the valve oil lines.
posted by 75.43.44...
Posts in this Thread:
- Oil Pressure light and rattly valves, sudden onset, mag , Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:54:56 <-- Viewing This Message
- So far so good, mag , Thu, 25 Mar 2010 01:27:08
- Re: Oil Pressure light and rattly valves, sudden onset, saab86, Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:43:58
- Re: Oil Pressure light and rattly valves, sudden onset, Cmyles , Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:39:45
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!