Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE - Saab 900 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
There were some improvements in the convertible body structure in the '91 model year, IIRC.
The SIS has some cachet because it's uncommon and looks gorgeous. As stopsaabn mentioned, it doesn't have the ABS and airbags that the post-'89 900s have, which makes for simpler maintenance. The downside is that the brake boosters for the '88 are getting harder to come by.
The SE and CE's are gorgeous.
A few things to bear in mind with these convertibles are
- Everything is a compromise.
- The value of each car is dependent on its prior maintenance and condition
- A C900 convertible is a fun car but you won't necessarily want it as a daily driver.
- Having a convertible, I can attest that the driver's view towards the rear of the car with the top up is terrible.
- You will have to do much more maintenance than a newer car.
- These cars are at least 20 years old and they wear out: oil and water leaks will develop and things will break sooner than you expect them to. You have to enjoy doing your own work or have a healthy bank balance for others to do it.
That said, even though my convertible is a bit on the ratty side, I love driving it - especially mornings and evenings with the top down. There's nothing like seeing the the full moon rise over the top of the windshield frame on a summer evening.
Posts in this Thread:
- Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, Boss77 , Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:33:09
- Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, ron, Thu, 3 Sep 2015 06:32:05
- Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, Jon , Sat, 29 Aug 2015 03:57:06
- Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, turbocon86, Thu, 27 Aug 2015 07:15:00
- Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, RS , Thu, 27 Aug 2015 06:30:15 <-- Viewing This Message
- I like the early ones, AaronG, Wed, 26 Aug 2015 20:40:45
- Re: Convertibles - 88 SiS vs. 91 SE vs. 94 CE, ToddF, Wed, 26 Aug 2015 18:06:08
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!