Undersized (or barely right sized) garage door lintels - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
4/20 Small Batch Order: Saabnet.com T-Shirts!! Put in Your Order Now!!
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I'm not sure that I 100% understand how you are doing this, but if your shelf is over the garage door, be a little careful about how the load is carried by the garage structure. Garage door lintels (especially for double doors!) are often barely strong enough to carry the roof loads and are notorious for sagging a little over time. This is not usually a big deal, but if they also need to support a heavy load of tires, you might end up with a structural problem. Of course whether or not this is a problem for you depends on the design of the garage and your shelf, but I just thought I'd point that out in case! (A bigger issue might be how to get tires up on a shelf over the front part of the garage with a conventional garage door, at least in the open position)
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Where should I store my tires?, adl6009 , Mon, 3 Nov 2014 20:49:37
- AOCD?, No Snaab, Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:11:24
- Thanks! I thought I was alone on this, Noel , Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:16:17
- low traffic?, Snowmobile , Thu, 6 Nov 2014 04:02:47
- My favorite..., Craig, Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:20:07
- NO, ELaw , Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:25:55
- Re: AOCD?, JimBlake , Wed, 5 Nov 2014 15:16:11
- Thanks, I'm glad I asked, adl6009 , Wed, 5 Nov 2014 10:31:36
- Re: Where should I store my tires?, JimBlake , Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:41:05
- Re: Where should I store my tires?, K W, Tue, 4 Nov 2014 20:20:40
- Re: Where should I store my tires?, Dale , Tue, 4 Nov 2014 06:50:16
- Re: Where should I store my tires?, Kristjan , Mon, 3 Nov 2014 22:42:33
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!