9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush? - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
2001 9-5 manual 5-speed sedan
Recently my 9-5 has started to run hot. I haven't overheated but I noticed my fans staying on after shutting the car off so I've been paying closer attention to the temperature gauge. The gauge needle wants to rise above the mid point with conservative driving and it looks ready to go higher with any extra stress put on the car. Turning the heater on full blast (fun in LA!) gets the needle back to the middle and the fans don't stay on after shut down. There is no visible loss of coolant. I plan on replacing the thermostat and also doing a mild oxalyic/citric acid flush to the cooling system. While I'm in there I thought I might replace the heater bypass valve and some hoses too.
Does it make sense to flush a 17-year old radiator, or should I just replace it? Then I would have to decide between getting a Nissens, or Chinese aluminum rad. If I'm replacing hoses should I go the route of getting hoses that would eliminate the heater bypass valve altogether? Does anyone have experience with the reliability of the Febi bypass valve at eEuroparts? -Thanks
posted by 75.79.178...
Posts in this Thread:
- 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, wabi-saabi, Tue, 19 Jun 2018 17:57:16 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, Stephen Goldberger, Sat, 23 Jun 2018 07:55:59
- Re: 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, mlc , Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:30:06
- Re: 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, I make it just for you, Wed, 20 Jun 2018 05:08:35
- Re: 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, Mark in Marine , Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:30:47
- Re: 9-5 Running Hot: Replace the radiator or just flush?, bobc , Tue, 19 Jun 2018 19:24:18
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!