Re: Power steering rack, Head Gasket; 100,000 mile check-in! - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
For whatever it's worth, their additive was very helpful on my P30 motorhome. That idiot machine has hydroboost brakes as well as a hydraulic UNparking brake (default = ON, hydraulic pressure takes it off) that all runs off the same pickup truck sized power steering pump and has NO cooler. It *murders* power steering fluid through heavy braking, especially in combination with steering - like one might do powering through the Sierra Nevadas. The RP additive was the key ingredient for consistent performance.
I eventually replaced the pump and installed an automatic transmission cooler in the power steering circuit and that has kept it happy using only high-quality (randomly half Redline & half Royal Purple) power steering fluid. But, without the cooler regular power steering fluid was not heat-tolerant enough without the RP additive.
posted by 12.195.130...
Posts in this Thread:
- Power steering rack, Head Gasket; 100,000 mile check-in!, Frak , Wed, 6 Dec 2017 12:10:32
- Re: Power steering rack, Head Gasket; 100,000 mile check-in!, Justin VanAbrahams, Wed, 6 Dec 2017 14:14:56
- Re: Power steering rack, Head Gasket; 100,000 mile check-in!, Landjet , Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:24:05
- Re: Replacement shock recommendation?, Frak , Sat, 9 Dec 2017 19:09:26
- RP only shows PS fluid, no PS additive. That it? N/M, Saabina, Thu, 7 Dec 2017 16:42:54
- Re: Power steering rack, Head Gasket; 100,000 mile check-in!, Saabina, Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:34:16
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!