I have a 2002 Viggen - Saabnet.com Bulletin Board
I have an '02 Viggen that I got when it had 90K miles. The asking price for the car you mention would be more in line with a really nice Viggen, but not the regular 9-3. I have also owned four 9000's and found it easier to work on than my 9-3 Viggen. If you liked your 900, you'll like your 9-3, as they're similar (I had an '87 900S, as well).
The PCV update for the 9-3 is controversial. I read several posts saying that oil consumption became excessive after the upgrade, so I have elected not to do this and to instead inspect/clean the oil pan this year. I also use full synthetic. If you're buying a 9-3, you want to have good documentation of the service history. The other thing to know is that the front suspension on these wears out at about 120K miles, and pretty much everyone says you have to get the OEM Saab parts, which are not cheap. The 9000 front suspension, on the other hand, is far better. If you do your own wrenching, you'd like working on the 9000.
posted by 98.127.25...
Posts in this Thread:
- 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable?, Kurt, Sun, 25 Mar 2018 18:16:10
- Re: 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable?, AlaskanViggen, Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:49:18
- Re: 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable?, none-yet, Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:25:36
- Re: 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable?, Justin VanAbrahams, Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:05:14
- Re: 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable? warning...long, Bernie , Sun, 25 Mar 2018 19:30:13
- Re: 2002 Saab 9-3 turbo automatic - how reliable?, Mike Hunt, Sun, 25 Mar 2018 18:16:11
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no Spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, skyscraper, nor box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!