Re: To answer all: (long) - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
8/25 WIN A $100 GIFT CARD |
7/31 Member of the Year |
7/20 Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 95 Bulletin Board | BBFAQ |
Prev by Date | Next by Date | Post Followup ]
Member Login / Signup - Members see fewer ads. - Latest Member Gallery Photos
Re: To answer all: (long)
Posted by Roger (NAWC) (more from Roger (NAWC)) on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 06:30:37
In Reply to: To answer all: (long), Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 22 Feb 2018 20:02:56
That's quite the summary. Thanks.
I already follow your suggestions ever since getting my first Saab (a C900) nearly 30 years ago. Synthetic oil (brand name, usually Mobil 1) changed every 5,000 or so miles, Mann filter, etc.
The one issue (probably minor) is that Amsoil has two Euro 5w40 oils, EFM and AFL. EFM meets ACEA A3/C3 and GM-LL-B-025, which is what's called for in my father's 2002 9-5 Aero. The AFL meets Dexos 2, which is what's called for in my 2008 9-5 (actually, it's GM-LL-A-025, which Dexos superseded). It meets ACEA C3, not A3/B3. So, some time after 2002, Saab changed the requirement.
ACEA lists C3 as being listed as compatible with catalytic converters, although A3/B3 must also be compatible. I have a feeling C3 and A3/B3 are pretty close. I'm leaning towards the AFL (ACEA C3) oil, just because that's what's listed in my owner's manual, even though EFM (ACEA A3/B3) specs on Amsoil's site look a bit better.
posted by 72.9.11...
Posts in this Thread:
- Oil Spec Question, Roger (NAWC), Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:55:21
- Re: Oil Spec Question, cheaptech , Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:19:13
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Dick in Falls Church, Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:26:25
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Stephen Goldberger, Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:35:43
- To answer all: (long), Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 22 Feb 2018 20:02:561
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Roger (NAWC), Thu, 22 Feb 2018 08:59:23
- Re: Oil Spec Question, three_jeeps, Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:56:39
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Snowmobile , Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:22:24
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Frank , Sat, 17 Feb 2018 18:25:09
- Re: Oil Spec Question, BruceM, Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:45:56
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:15:49
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Doug W , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:40:05
- Re: Oil Spec Question, MI-Roger , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:55:22
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!