Oil Spec Question - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
8/25 WIN A $100 GIFT CARD |
7/31 Member of the Year |
7/20 Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main 95 Bulletin Board | BBFAQ |
Prev by Date | Next by Date | Post Followup ]
Member Login / Signup - Members see fewer ads. - Latest Member Gallery Photos
Oil Spec Question
Posted by Roger (NAWC) (more from Roger (NAWC)) on Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:55:21
I picked up a 2008 9-5 SportCombi last year and I'm about due for an oil change. I've always used Mobil 1, but thought I'd try Amsoil. The owner's manual states oil must meet GM-LL-A-025 (which has since been superseded by Dexos).
I've done some reading into Amsoil's oils and I've narrowed it to three choices:
Signature Series 0w40 (doesn't meet M-LL-A-025)
Signature Series 5w30 (meets (GM-LL-A-025)
European Formula 5w40 (meets GM-LL-A-025)
The Signature Series is the better oil, in general. Does that spec only really matter for extended oil change intervals? I change my oil every 5,000 miles or so (I'm at 6,000 right now).
Also, when I realized I'm due for an oil change, I was going to get 5w40, figuring the thicker oil will give a bit better protection, but I think 0w40 would be fine (winters here aren't terribly cold, perhaps 10F on occasion, but once the engine warms up, it'd be a 40 weight oil anyway). 5w30 seems a bit thin to me.
So, it's really down to a 5w40, which meets the GM spec and is a bit thicker in cold weather, or the 0w40, which doesn't meet the GM spec and is a bit thin in cold weather, but is a better oil in other ways (NOACK volatility, viscosity index, etc).
I know it's splitting hairs, but I would like to figure out which is the best choice.
Thanks in advance
posted by 72.9.11...
Posts in this Thread:
- Oil Spec Question, Roger (NAWC), Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:55:21 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Oil Spec Question, cheaptech , Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:19:13
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Dick in Falls Church, Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:26:25
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Stephen Goldberger, Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:35:43
- To answer all: (long), Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 22 Feb 2018 20:02:561
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Roger (NAWC), Thu, 22 Feb 2018 08:59:23
- Re: Oil Spec Question, three_jeeps, Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:56:39
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Snowmobile , Tue, 20 Feb 2018 07:22:24
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Frank , Sat, 17 Feb 2018 18:25:09
- Re: Oil Spec Question, BruceM, Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:45:56
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:15:49
- Re: Oil Spec Question, Doug W , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:40:05
- Re: Oil Spec Question, MI-Roger , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:55:22
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!