More compatible these days - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
4/20 Small Batch Order: Saabnet.com T-Shirts!! Put in Your Order Now!!
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Yes, I use Linux for the most part, though I've also played around with the BSDs as well.
The LibreOffice and OpenOffice programs, and some others such as freeoffice.com, have a high degree of compatibility at this point. It can never be 100% though since the Microsoft formats are not true standards, they are proprietary. Many people do find that the free software does the job for them. All I can suggest is try one or more of them -- they're free! (It will be interesting to see if the UK government makes good on its announced "threat" to free themselves of Microsoft Office and move to open standards. They've been saying that for years though.)
In my case I simply make it known to people that I do not accept documents in proprietary formats. I find that plain text is best in most cases. If formatting and/or graphics are really needed I tell 'em to send a PDF.
My involvement in the computer industry pre-dates Microsoft and I have no interest in or use for that company or its products.
->Posting last edited on Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:06:27.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- all in one computer recommendation, brick8, Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:28:56
- Re: all in one computer recommendation, brick8, Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:36:29
- iMac, vvk, Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:45:37
- Agree, TimN , Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:01:52
- ASUS ....happy so far, GFW3pedals, Tue, 4 Feb 2014 07:26:25
- Upgrade her existing machine to Windows 8.1, Bill Homer, Mon, 3 Feb 2014 20:08:53
- Microsoft Office HUP, MI-Roger , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 03:23:20
- Re: Microsoft Office HUP, Tom G , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 04:45:11
- They can keep it, JerseySaab , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 04:35:07
- compatibility with the real world?, Snowmobile , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 05:21:15
- More compatible these days, JerseySaab , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 05:47:23 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: More compatible these days, brick8, Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:16:07
- Re: More compatible these days, Snowmobile , Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:52:14
- More compatible these days, but not across platforms, Bill Homer, Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:35:18
- Dell Optiplex 9020, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 3 Feb 2014 18:51:11
- Why not a 17 inch laptop?, MI-Roger , Mon, 3 Feb 2014 18:04:50
- Re: all in one computer recommendation, JTRI , Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:12:13
- Re: all in one computer recommendation, Tim, Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:00:30
- Dell Inspiron ONE, JerseySaab , Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:57:56
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!