No, it is nothing the same - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Except for the misconception of non believers that it is the same due to both being smelly in their own way.
Lutefisk starts out as being cod dried into a thin hard shell that in itself is smelly (kind of like the dog treats made from fish). In this state it can survive for a long time without the need of being salted which was not a common commodity in the old days.
To soften it and bring it back to original size it is soaked in water and water/lye solutions before cooking it.
I like it and it was a staple on the Christmas table growing up.
The other fish you talk about is the surstromming which is a herring cured in barrels of salt solution where the salt content is not high enough to make it into salted fish but more a fermented state (NOT rotten). The story goes, again, that they might not have had enough salt back in the days to make it fully salted herring but when the hunger set in during the winter month, they found out it could be eaten without dying from it and they slowly acquired a taste for it.
I like that too.
Posts in this Thread:
- Norwegian Airlines?, EGD , Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:09:48
- I've flown with them a lot. No negative experiences., AdamB , Wed, 11 Nov 2015 03:56:16
- Yelp reviews, EGD , Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:13:22
- Just don't select the Lutefisk as your meal, MI-Roger , Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:26:33
- Re: Just don't select the Lutefisk as your meal, EGD , Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:53:52
- No, it is nothing the same, SWEDECAR , Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:09:12 <-- Viewing This Message
- Lutefisk is kinda bland compared to other options..., EAnderson, Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:13:36
- Oh, I had the process backwards, MI-Roger , Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:47:24
- Re: No, it is nothing the same, EGD , Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:21:37
- Lutefisk translates as Lye Fish, MI-Roger , Wed, 11 Nov 2015 03:19:29
- Re: Just don't select the Lutefisk as your meal, Landjet , Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:31:23
- Re: Norwegian Airlines?, No Snaab, Tue, 10 Nov 2015 04:11:10
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!