What's wrong with this picture? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I don't use Speedplays but I've ridden for many years and this doesn't make much sense to me. Do the pedals give a sign of needing to be lubed? Modern sealed bearings don't need much. I ride lots of miles on various pedals and never lube the bearings and they never bind or give a sign of needing to be lubed. It was different in the old days of course. Many technically oriented cyclists use Speedplays and ride tons of miles and I have never heard this complaint. Nor have I ever heard a complaint of Speedplays being "throwaway" components. People ride tons of miles on them.
If it were important to remove these bolts to lube the bearings there would be a tool for it (whether the Park tool or a more specialized tool). It makes no sense to me whatsoever that you would need grind down a socket to do this. So I suspect there is either a tool for it or you don't really need to do it. I'd ask Speedplay and/or an experienced bike shop.
posted by 74.69.20...
Posts in this Thread:
- Thin walled socket?, GFW3pedals , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:35:47
- Like Sondeen says, DE , Fri, 14 Jul 2017 15:02:50
- What's wrong with this picture?, DE , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:36:40 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Thin walled socket?, steve, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:04:27
- Ask Speedplay? nm, DE , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:24:43
- X2 lube process, Sondeen , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 19:59:38
- Re: Thin walled socket?, Simon S, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:41:57
- Re: Thin walled socket?, Simon S, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:41:19
- Park?, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:35:31
- Re: Park?, GFW3pedals , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:34:29
- Re: Thin walled socket?, TG, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:32:31
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!