speedplays do need to be greased periodically - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Speedplays do require regular greasing, about every 2000 miles for the X series pedals. I agree that this is not typical for most bicycle pedals. If you neglect regreasing long enough, you eventually wear out the bearings. For comparison, I had some early Shimano Look clone pedals that went forever and the bearings never needed greasing. In comparison the speedplay bearings are very small and thus I suspect they are highly loaded for their size. The pedal bodies themselves are also quite small. They bearings likely generate more heat which does not conduct out of the non-metallic bodies, and thus this heat degrades the grease and it looses its lubricative properties as it also migrates out of the bearing. This is my experience and my theory as user and maintainer of several speedplay pedals.
Posts in this Thread:
- Thin walled socket?, GFW3pedals , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 06:35:47
- Like Sondeen says, DE , Fri, 14 Jul 2017 15:02:50
- What's wrong with this picture?, DE , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:36:40
- Re: Thin walled socket?, steve, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:04:27
- Ask Speedplay? nm, DE , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:24:43
- X2 lube process, Sondeen , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 19:59:38
- Re: Thin walled socket?, Simon S, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:41:57
- Re: Thin walled socket?, Simon S, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:41:19
- Park?, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:35:31
- Re: Park?, GFW3pedals , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:34:29
- Re: Thin walled socket?, TG, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:32:31
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!