Re: In contrast in California 1974 - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Re: In contrast in California 1974
Posted by Craig [Email] (more from Craig) on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 12:04:30
In Reply to: Re: In contrast in California 1974, JerseySaab [Profile/Gallery]
, Fri, 27 Apr 2018 04:32:19
I agree with your point but disagree with your argument. The way accident statistic are complied does not typically point to mechanical issues especially since most accidents have multiple causes. If someone is rear ended it's going to be listed as failure to stop, following too close, or whatever, even if bad breaks, bad shocks, bald tires, or non-functioning brake lights contributed to the crash. For an accident to be recorded as mechanical failure it literally has to be something like a wheel falling off. There is no statistical evidence either way because the evidence collected in meaningless. Any overall increase in accident rates would likely separable for other influencing factors, like increase vehicle safety and more driver distraction accidents.
That said I completely agree that inspections are largely a racket and this is not how governments should be using resources in terms of improving safety.
If you really want hell though, the UK MOT which is already an absurdity has once again got stricter. Your car is now consider a major fail and cannot even be driven away if you have a fluid leak (and even weeping fluid is considered a 'minor' failure and has to be fixed). This is under the guise of environmental protection. Why not just tax someone who drivers their car even if they live on a bus route or who take a 30 minute shower, which are surely more impactful on the environment than a few drops of oil a month. Of course its the individual that is expected to pay up though not the rich multinational companies who contribute far more pollution, but rather they get to get even richer from all the new cars these policies sell!
posted by 66.91.28...
Posts in this Thread:
- Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., Cary, Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:40:38
- Re: Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., Craig, Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:23:58
- I flash lights to warn off radar traps/police ahead..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:55:47
- Re: Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., GFW3pedals , Tue, 24 Apr 2018 06:31:14
- Re: Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., bobc , Tue, 24 Apr 2018 07:21:39
- No, hazards only when stopped for me, GFW3pedals , Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:05:48
- Flashers under 40, Cary, Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:47:20
- Hazards while driving..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:15:59
- maximize my visibility to others, bobc , Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:41:50
- Re: No, hazards only when stopped for me, Snowmobile , Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:29:52
- Re: Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., Saab88, Mon, 23 Apr 2018 19:56:03
- Re: Driving Etiquette, flashing lights front and rear..., EGD , Mon, 23 Apr 2018 19:52:19
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!