Re: Testing vs oil changes - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Call me contrarian but I don't see the value in testing engine oil.
If something is going wrong, you will more than have other symptoms that will present themselves. Before you shoot the arrows, let me just say that in a previous life, we performed oil analysis on jet engines and gear boxes. Naturally, you don't want these items prematurely failing at 30000 ft or the middle of no where. This was done at frequent intervals, 10 hours after engine or gear box change and then every 50 or 100 hours (can't remember sorry). The first after 10 hours (break in) and if ok, then to establish a baseline with regular interval testing (100 hrs).
Usually, some fine particles would be found at break, then nothing (hopefully). This was in addition to having chip detectors.
We used Mobil 1 to prevent coking in the oil passages.
Any way, I think if you're inclined to do oil analysis, 100000 miles with an oil change every 5k doesn't tell you anything.
My experience has been that excessive wear on different jet engine or gearbox components can identify premature failure, but only when tested at frequent intervals. Also, I don't think the $28 cost/test, while not extremely high if taken at the mid point of every oil change would soon result in a greater cost than engine replacement.
Having said all this and perhaps boring anyone who bothered to read it, my other experience has been that my opinion doesn't mean a whole lot.
Posts in this Thread:
- SAAB Talk Live: Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional - A lab owner sets us straight, Scott Paterson , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:34:411
- Re: SAAB Talk Live: Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional - A lab owner sets us straight, neil dale , Sun, 31 Mar 2019 21:44:211
- Re: Testing vs oil changes, Tom G , Fri, 29 Mar 2019 04:52:51 <-- Viewing This Message
- OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, MI-Roger , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:13:43
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, TG, Fri, 5 Apr 2019 11:14:37
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, Montana Tom , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 19:41:47
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, kenS , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 17:08:201
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, bobc , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:44:36
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, Eiron, Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:28:13
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, PGAero , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:26:50
- Re: OT: Current cost of Synthetics, YowZah!, JimBlake , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 09:23:27
- Marketing..., Justin VanAbrahams , Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:19:15
- Synthetic vs. Conventional - A guy at a party perspective, Sondeen , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:41:532
- Like gasoline, additives vary nominally, Bloodnose , Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:41:10
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!