Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage. - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
It is hard to know for sure, but I tend to agree with you that significant inflation is in the future and probably higher interest rates. That or higher tax rates "to prevent excessive inflation" (that is how some economists word it, but really, they are just rewording the usual macroeconomics 101). I think we are already starting to see the inflation on some specific commodities (food, building supplies, etc). I'm not an economist, but I do find it interesting to analyze. I anticipate rough waters in the years ahead.
Normally with mortgages, it's really hard to "beat the bank" with a fixed rate. If you go back in time, at least up here in Canada, there were about 2 years since 1950 when you could get a fixed rate and do better than variable over the term. One of them was a single year back before the soaring interest rates in the early 80's. Maybe we are due for that to happen again. Then again, policy makers today seem to favour low interest rates, so it is hard to know.
I hate carrying debt, but if you have a secure investment that yields a higher return, quite possible today with the very low mortgage rates, carrying that investment and continuing to pay a mortgage is wise. Leveraging stock investments might be less safe though if the market becomes more volatile.
If you are locked in to a fixed value of mortgage and inflation happens, that is probably a good thing, as your mortgage is now worth less compared to the value of eg the property (as long as you have the financial stability to be able to keep up the payments of course).
Posts in this Thread:
- Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Sam, Tue, 2 Feb 2021 08:42:41
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, DaveofFairfax , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:27:20
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Randy Thatcher , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:40:151
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Notnoel , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:13:572
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Cary, Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:03:18
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Roger_S , Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:50:00
- Thanks! Appreciate the input. n/m, Sam, Tue, 2 Feb 2021 16:23:11
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Scott Paterson , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:37:40
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, JerseySaab , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:07:111
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage., EGD , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:04:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!