Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Late to the party, but my $0.02. At current interest rates, I would go for the long (30 year - would do longer of I could)) mortgage. Many excellent points have been made re: expectations of future inflation and "comfort" in not having a mortgage in retirement; however, for me it boils down to: Do you want to be rich or do you want to be "happy"? (And yes you can be both.) "Rich" is paying your mortgage on time and investing until it hurts - at some point, you will have sufficient investments balances to pay your remaining balance outright. "Happy" is the comfort in knowing you own your home by paying down your mortgage ASAP (the Dave Ramsey way) and deferring investments until such time as mortgage is paid off. It's all about your expectation of the time value of YOUR money. For me, a big, long mortgage (in the booming DC area) has been the ticket to my financial health. That said, at some point I do envision paying off my mortgage. That'll be when paying off the mortgage makes more sense that having the cash in the bank.
Posts in this Thread:
- Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Sam, Tue, 2 Feb 2021 08:42:41
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, DaveofFairfax , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:27:20 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Randy Thatcher , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:40:151
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Notnoel , Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:13:572
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Cary, Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:03:18
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Roger_S , Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:50:00
- Thanks! Appreciate the input. n/m, Sam, Tue, 2 Feb 2021 16:23:11
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, Scott Paterson , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:37:40
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage, JerseySaab , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:07:111
- Re: Looking for opinions on paying down mortgage., EGD , Tue, 2 Feb 2021 11:04:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!