Actually, old VWs weren't good - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Actually, old VWs weren't good
Posted by Ari [Email] (more from Ari) on Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:49:23
In Reply to: Re: So... what makes a good snow car?, No Snaab, Sat, 3 Jan 2009 06:54:55
Having owned a few.
Here's three problems with the old air-cooled VWs-
(1) No heat. Defrosting was a real problem. Assuming the heat exchangers off the exhaust weren't rotted, and the cables hadn't seized, you would get just a little heat. But once the levers stuck and the exchangers developed holes, you got no heat.
(2) No weight over the front wheels. With little weight over the fronts, the front end would get pushed around by the snow. The front wheels were more like rudders than wheels. A couple of inches of snow would lift the tires from the road and push them around. Changing lanes when there were snow piles between the lanes was a real white-knuckle affair.
(3) Too much weight hanging out back. Brakes? Don't use them - engine braking only. If the fronts did grab, the rear end would pass you in a second.
No heat, no defrosting, a front end that would get pushed around by three flakes of snow and a rear-end that wanted to pass on dry roads, much less snow. No, I don't miss the old VWs.
Yes, you did get traction - see my note below about traction. Be careful what you ask for - you could get moving, but once moving, the steering wheel was just a suggestion box.
posted by 76.221.218...
Posts in this Thread:
- So... what makes a good snow car?, Noel , Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:39:16
- Re: So... what makes a good snow car?, G.Keyser, Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:09:51
- Re: So... what makes a good snow car?, jp498, Sat, 3 Jan 2009 04:36:46
- Can I put winter tires on viggen rims?, SeaTac93, Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:37:09
- traction and weight, dr fall, Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:23:07
- Re: Lots of weight on the drive wheels, BobS, Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:36:25
- It ain't about the bike...er...car..., Mike Lynch , Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:15:18
- Re: So... what makes a good snow car?, No Snaab, Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:49:30
- Re: So... what makes a good snow car?, SeeVTSaab, Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:31:19
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!