you might live in a warmer neighbourhood! - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
The banner above is an advertisment - if it asks you to download software, please ignore.
Site News -
1/6 Saab Owners' Convention 2023
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
When it is -30, it does help to turn it on for a couple minutes while scraping off ice, shoveling etc before you leave. Pretty hard on the engine to just turn it over and drive away in the severe cold. 10 minutes is way longer than I would ever do (5 minutes would be tops, usually about 2-3). The 9-5 warms up quickly anyway, but it takes some time to defog/defrost the inside glass (front glass is quick if not frozen, but back and sides slower), and it really is not safe to drive without that complete.
One might argue that a block heater is better for the engine (and sure)... but it's not likely to save the environment much unless the electricity came from a pretty clean power plant.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- To idle or not in cold weather, NonStop , Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:36:55
- You would be correct... 1 minute idle rule...., Mike Lynch , Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:58:43
- I start my wife's car and let it idle, Noel, Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:18:21
- Re: To idle or not in cold weather, Tom G , Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:27:02
- Re: To idle or not in cold weather, Ron, Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:45:06
- Re: To idle or not in cold weather, JimBlake , Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:42:39
- Just long enough to scrape the windows clear......., MI-Roger , Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:05:58
- No, AdamSAAB2kAero , Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:40:54
- I like to wait for the clutch to function properly, AdamD, Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:56:13
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
|Button Ad Available
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | Run Club Menlo Park | ScreenBot
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!