Just did last week... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
7/31 Member of the Year |
7/20 Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
7/20: Saab Convention Photos |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Went out in my '99 Viggen vert with the Saab Club of Oklahoma on the famous Talimena Drive (where everyone in Oklahoma goes to see foliage). Got run off the road by a Camry around a sharp bend, and found myself with a hole in my right front Michelin Pilot. Miraculously, the Viggen rim was just fine and my Pull-A-Part spare i'd picked the week before held it together for the 90 mile drive back. Had to put on my spare in the middle of the highway, and limp back to McAlester, OK. On a Saturday night at 6PM, the only place to get tires there was the Walmart - and sure enough, they had one 215/45R17 left in stock - Douglas brand.
Overall impressions of Walmart service - i'm leary of anyone working on my Viggen with a lift that isn't used to side skirts, so I handed them the wheel and they put the tire on it. Took 20 minutes out the door. However, I should have looked at my quote more closely - they added a few things I didn't anticipate, such as $10 road side hazard (on a $60 tire), mounting, balancing, tire disposal fee, etc. All told, the $60 tire cost me $90. I didn't care insomuch as I was just happy to have gotten a tire in 20 minutes, with enough time to let me join my fellow Saab Clubers for dinner.
Honestly, for my next set of tires on my Viggens, i'd use someplace like Tire Rack and have them ship to a Euro shop or someone else used to working on low-profile cars. I took my other (daily) Viggen in to a Discount Tire yesterday for a flat, and they managed to catch the front lip on their lift, ripping the black fender liner. I got $200 for it, and fortunately the part is still available, but really it's not worth the hassle.
Hope that helps...
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, MI-Roger , Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:59:08
- Final analysis, MI-Roger , Sat, 19 Nov 2016 05:26:24
- Buy remote, have indy install, Noel , Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:23:36
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, IndySaaber , Fri, 18 Nov 2016 05:31:58
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, Jeremy R., Mon, 14 Nov 2016 16:39:59
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, Mike B, Sun, 13 Nov 2016 08:59:29
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, Steve Mac, Sun, 13 Nov 2016 07:28:51
- Thanks for all the inputs, MI-Roger , Sat, 12 Nov 2016 16:54:41
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, Dennis_MA, Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:15:511
- Just did last week..., Tulsaab , Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:34:46 <-- Viewing This Message
- I only buy tires from Discount Tire, WalMart, or Sears, Name Left Blank, Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:46:33
- Nothing wrong with WalMart - no bait and switch, AeroBaron, Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:34:291
- Re: OT: Anyone buy tires from WalMart?, cheaptech , Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:06:12
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!