Nonsense. The author is a GM guy. - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
The article made almost no sense whatsoever. From the commentary, the author probably never owned a SAAB... he even fit a "quirkiness" comment into the first sentence!
Ok, I get it that buick are now doing the sportback and wagon... but so are many many brands: Audi, BMW, Porsche, Honda, Kia, heck even Ferrari! Buick is doing it because Opel had done it already, so it was a matter of some badge engineering... but give GM credit for letting it happen - remember, there was a time that GM would not let SAAB release a hatchback 9-3!
Maybe if one got into SAABs late in the game under GM, this connection to Buick makes a little sense... there were many people who bought into SAAB with the NG9-3 ss as a value proposition vs A4 and the 3 series... I guess I see the similarities of NG9-5 with Buick, which might be partly why I had no interest in owning a NG9-5... too big. I think GM wanted more convergence between Buick and SAAB... Heck, I felt there was too much GM convergence in the 2003 9-3ss, and SAAB changed a ton of stuff GM did not approve of with that car!
I liked this quote from TomG in the comments of the article:
"Why do they have to claim Buick is the new Saab??? Buick is Buick and Saab was a Saab. Buick is suppose to be AMERICAN, Saab was not. they are in two different ballparks and labeling as such in an insult to BUICK. WE all know what happened to Saab, if GM doesn’t start making all BUICKS in the USA it will be defunct like Saab.[snip]"
Not sure if it is the same TomG as on here... but long time buick customers (many American grandpas?) might not be the sort of people who are into "quirky" Swedish cars?
I once spoke with a Subaru sales rep who once owned a c900 and said "Subaru is the new SAAB"... I also disagree with him (in spite of the rally oriented hatchbacks with sticks and turbos)... so ymmv...
Personally, I think the Volvos are closer to the SAABs I'm used to than the Buicks... but there are many differences also... probably a lot of SAAB engineers have ended up at Volvo (or at least that is what I heard). Volvo is philosophically similar to SAAB, and I think that is the starting point, and why Buick or any GM product, has almost no relationship to SAAB other than some technology that was inherited due to buyout of the brand...
->Posting last edited on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:14:04.
Posts in this Thread:
- Replacement for my saab, feq451, Sat, 22 Jul 2017 14:32:02
- I've had 20+ cars, and not one has really replaced my saab..., Johnson, Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:30:35
- You can laugh but..., Cary, Mon, 7 Aug 2017 16:09:13
- Finally replaced my Saab with a BMW 320i, Sam8, Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:31:34
- Re: Replacement for my saab an Alfa Romeo ! seriously !, neil dale , Fri, 28 Jul 2017 23:29:371
- Re: Replacement for my saab, 2002Viggen, Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:49:30
- Re: Replacement for my saab, Pete , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 19:34:58
- Volvo S60/V60, EGD , Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:12:08
- Re: Replacement for my saab, BarryMabel , Sun, 23 Jul 2017 08:57:20
- Another SAAB!, Paul from Palmyra, PA, Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:17:331
- Re: Another SAAB! yes ! buy all the used ones now if you can !, neil dale , Fri, 28 Jul 2017 09:55:311
- Problem is, Feq451, Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:29:49
- I like the tech package in my 1989 c900..., Snowmobile , Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:46:231
- Behind? behind who? didn't know it's a competition, GFW3pedals , Wed, 26 Jul 2017 06:00:111
- I don't see a problem, JerseySaab , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:08:45
- $29,990 Regal Sportback +7 cu ft on a 9000., Norm9-5, Tue, 25 Jul 2017 17:41:33
- Didn't GM just sell Opel to Peugeot?, SRS900S, Thu, 27 Jul 2017 19:09:37
- Even cheaper than that, starts under $26K, A1-turbo, Wed, 26 Jul 2017 07:26:29
- Re: $29,990 Regal Sportback +7 cu ft on a 9000., QuietTide , Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:24:27
- probably what we will do, Snowmobile , Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:21:30
- Love my A4, DE , Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:39:37
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!