Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance? - Saab 9-5 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
10/13 Saabnet.com Celebrates 33 Years on the Internet! Win a $133 Gift Card! |
9/29 Photo of the Year Open Submissions
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I check mine periodically and was able to detect early signs of failure:
if you don't have the equipment to test, some early signs (though these are not conclusive) are:
- occasional hard start in the AM
- Bucking, stumble, hesitation, under heavy acceleration
- occasional crank but no start that resolves in two or three tries.
I started testing mine years ago when replacements were ~$450. But now with the insert ~$100 and full assembly ~$200 it might make sense to add fuel pumps to periodic maintenance.
Me, I'll continue to monitor mine. FWIW both of mine failed, in the driveway, at ~150k. There are reports of some lasting longer, and some failing sooner.
At 135k I'd say that you are certainly approaching the end of its life. If you have any of the symptoms, especially stumbling under heavy acceleration, I'd replace it.
btw if you are in the Raleigh area I'd be happy to meet you, hook up the equipment, have a look at your pump.
note that this was the pattern of my pump at 134k, with no symptoms at all:
within 5k I started to get the symptoms described, and the pump failed totally at ~150k (I ran it to failure, in the interest of science, just to see how long it would last)
'08 9⁵ 2.3T SportCombi, Polar White
'01 9⁵ Aero Midnight Blue (benched)
'00 9⁵ Aero Midnight Blue (rescued)
'99 9⁵ Base model, Cosmic blue
'00 9⁵ Aero Silver (RIP - transmission )
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, JonInAtl, Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:30:16
- Thanks for all the great info!!!, JonInAtl, Fri, 24 Apr 2015 04:06:13
- We did an exhaustive survey a few years back..., Stephen Goldberger, Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:06:23
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, Doug W , Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:47:04
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, Aero~0657, Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:30:29
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, used2bcheaptech, Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:20:16
- Yes, AdamSAAB2kAero , Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:14:19
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, bobc , Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:55:00 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, SWEDECAR , Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:07:05
- Re: Fuel Pump. Preventative Maintenance?, EGD , Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:01:15
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!