Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission? - Saab Saab Model 99 Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
4/20 Small Batch Order: Saabnet.com T-Shirts!! Put in Your Order Now!!
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I believe that a '71 would have originally had a free wheeling gearbox. Whether it still has it will be interesting to find out - they had a reputation for being very...breakable. Many/most were probably swapped out for later transmissions (Saab did a major overhaul of the gear box design in 1972).
I have a 2-stroke car with free wheeling (which is fine for that, the engine has no torque) and I think the biggest trick is that you have to learn to slowly feather in the throttle when you apply it so that the engine doesn't rev up from idle and then suddenly engage the freewheel with a "bang". That puts a lot of stress on everything. So you have to learn to "match revs" a bit.
Fun stuff! If you actually get a car with freewheeling that works I certainly wouldn't try to get rid of it, although some might advise that - it's a cool feature that made the early cars unique. Of course it serves no purpose on a 4-stroke engine - the reason for having it is to prevent oil starvation on over-run in 2-stroke engines. Why Saab elected to carry it over into the 99 is a mystery.
PS - send me an email off line and I'll get the parts book to you.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, Tom, Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:11:57
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, Gary Stottler , Sun, 23 Aug 2020 05:13:02 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, Tom, Sun, 23 Aug 2020 05:57:09
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, DougM , Sun, 23 Aug 2020 06:46:58
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, Tom, Sun, 23 Aug 2020 10:49:06
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, DougM , Sun, 23 Aug 2020 15:58:25
- Re: Will the ‘71 have a freewheeling transmission?, Tom, Thu, 27 Aug 2020 04:28:51
- Sometimes there's also a need......., DougM , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 05:33:09
- Re: Sometimes there's also a need......., Tom, Thu, 27 Aug 2020 06:14:18
- Re: Sometimes there's also a need......., Gary Stottler , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 06:49:19
- Re: Sometimes there's also a need......., Tom, Thu, 27 Aug 2020 07:04:01
- Tasteful mods or upgrades, DougM , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 09:12:49
- Re: Tasteful mods or upgrades, Tom, Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:15:20
- 900 parts interchange, DougM , Sat, 29 Aug 2020 06:43:49
- more pics - '74EMS donor car, DougM , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 16:54:38
- More pictures - different car, DougM , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 15:00:45
- More pictures....., DougM , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:16:20
- Re: Tasteful mods or upgrades, Gary Stottler , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:29:31
- Re: Tasteful mods or upgrades, Gary Stottler , Thu, 27 Aug 2020 09:25:13
- Parts, DougM , Sun, 23 Aug 2020 19:31:04
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!