Re: I always put the tires w/ most tread up front - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
The banner above is an advertisment - if it asks you to download software, please ignore.
Site News -
2/5 Saabnet.com T-Shirts All Sent Out! Last Call! |
1/6 Saab Owners' Convention 2023
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I think the premise is that oversteer is significantly harder to compensate than understeer, therefore the rear wheel recommendation. In non-track situations, this is really only an issue in the rain or ice/slush/snow. Most people only experience this in emergency situations, so have little opportunity to practice (many panic and hit the brakes - the worst thing to do!).
I've had the front end hydroplane (on a newly bought 9-5 with crummy tires from the PO, most tread on the back). Trivial situation though as you get immediate feedback through the steering column. I think that is the point - that there are many poor/inexperienced drivers on the roads and presenting those with an oversteer condition, especially at high speeds, is dangerous... you and I spend a lot of time driving in winter, so are used to compensating for all kinds of stuff!
otoh, it is a trade off for tire wear, and also evenness of tire wear... and there are safety considerations there also. Especially where the poorly educated drivers are probably also poorly educated about the importance of keeping fresh tires on the car...
Beyond that, putting less good tires on the front of a FWD car will reduce the braking grip in non-hydroplane conditions (better brakes and more mass are up front). These could be serious, like braking for a child that runs out between parked cars in a residential area... you're not going to fishtail at neighbourhood speeds but you still need to stop fast!
And your point about never rotating tires is true also, as if you put 4 new tires on a FWD car, after a couple months, your best tires are generally now on the rear, so a rotation would be putting the better tires in the front...
So I think it comes down to a balance of what is important to the driver...
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Well, my 9-2X is out of commission for awhile..., Scott Paterson , Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:38:04
- Update: One less 9-2X Aero in the world..., Scott Paterson , Sun, 17 Jul 2016 14:19:20
- Photos, Scott Paterson , Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:01:31
- So your 9-2X will be repaired by Insurance Company?, MI-Roger , Wed, 13 Jul 2016 07:52:54
- Okay, Here is the 1st Report... Not so Happy... BUT!, Scott Paterson , Thu, 30 Jun 2016 16:17:38
- Re-Insurance Ramifications, DnstrDan , Fri, 1 Jul 2016 11:51:351
- Re: Sounds similar to what I went through, AeroDave, Fri, 1 Jul 2016 08:09:54
- Re: Okay, Here is the 1st Report... Not so Happy... BUT!, Steve, Fri, 1 Jul 2016 07:42:11
- Re: Okay, Here is the 1st Report... Not so Happy... BUT!, JustinHiFi , Fri, 1 Jul 2016 05:30:03
- Brings back bad memories of what my son went through..., MI-Roger , Thu, 30 Jun 2016 18:50:181
- Glad to hear that you and your daughter are OK, RS , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:19:591
- I believe the 9-2X got a 5-Star Safety rating AND!..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 09:54:12
- Re: Well, my 9-2X is out of commission for awhile..., Bloodnose , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:05:051
- Re: Well, my 9-2X is out of commission for awhile..., AdamSAAB2kAero , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 05:41:13
- Bad Boy!, Scott Paterson , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 09:57:02
- Investigate California's rule on Salvage Cars..., MI-Roger , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 03:20:341
- Re: Well, my 9-2X is out of commission for awhile..., EGD , Mon, 27 Jun 2016 23:03:271
- Re: Well, my 9-2X is out of commission for awhile..., Brianatl , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 04:50:45
- Amazingly - his airbag did not deploy either..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 09:58:27
- Glad all are OK, but come on let's get serious guys, GFW3pedals , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 06:07:08
- You are driving a safe car, nonetheless..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 09:59:34
- Re: Glad all are OK, but come on let's get serious guys, Snowmobile , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 07:13:07
- Subaru haters take note of the structural integrity nm, cheaptech , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:29:501
- First, glad all are ok! Next is the insurance company, Noel, Tue, 28 Jun 2016 07:38:461
- Here's part of the problem... Answer Please AWD & Tires, Scott Paterson , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:02:30
- Re: Here's part of the problem... Answer Please AWD & Tires, JimBlake , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 20:08:20
- Re: Here's part of the problem... Answer Please AWD & Tires, Dennis_MA, Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:16:50
- You can shave a single new tire to match diameters, MI-Roger , Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:59:12
- Re: Here's part of the problem... Answer Please AWD & Tires, A1-turbo, Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:37:01
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
|Button Ad Available
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | Run Club Menlo Park | ScreenBot
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!