Tesla does not follow industry standards - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
The banner above is an advertisment - if it asks you to download software, please ignore.
Site News -
10/5 Photo of the Year Winners | 10/5 IAC Car Show 10/15
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
There were three vehicle charging connectors types. There is the SAE standard configuration for the US, a European standard configuration for Europe, and the Tesla standard. Most countries follow the NEMA or the European standard. The number of connectors has recently increased to allow the cars to communicate with Smart chargers. See photo below of a new Chevy Bolt where there is a separate cover to protect the data ports when using a non-Smart Charger.
Tesla prices their adapter cable, which will allow their cars to be recharged at non-Tesla charging stations, at $1,500 each! For an eight foot long length of electrical cord! This was their cost to Tesla customers the one time I checked.
Tesla's release of their patents at zero cost to other manufacturers is viewed by many in the Intellectual Property world as an admission that the patents have no value to anyone other than Tesla, and was done as a marketing move rather than an altruistic act.
Tesla uses a non-standard voltage, a non-standard connector, and grossly overprices their adapter cable. They may be trying to emulate Apple, but don't forget what happened to Sony with Betamax. Being 'the best' is sometimes not enough if all your competitors take the other road.
->Posting last edited on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:02:50.
2008 9-5 Aero Sedan, sold at 227K miles
2006 9-3SC 2.0T - Wife's daily driver
2000 Viggen Convertible - Summer Fun Car
1964 Quantum IV Formula Car - Retirement project
2000 9-5lpt Sedan, sold at 318K miles
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- OT: Irrational Exurbance?, MI-Roger , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:32:56
- Re: another interesting discussion n/m, Tom G , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:01:20
- Amazing ownership experience, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:19:27
- I still don't understand all of the attraction, MI-Roger , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:40:18
- Let me explain, vvk, Mon, 17 Jul 2017 05:54:35
- OK, now I understand your position, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 04:55:16
- Re: Let me explain, Tom G , Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:29:11
- I know it is difficult to believe, I was in the same boat, vvk, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:44:41
- Man, spot on., Justin VanAbrahams , Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:15:00
- Re: thanks for the info, Tom G , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 20:56:10
- Not me, vvk, Wed, 19 Jul 2017 04:04:29
- Electric vehicle recharging is shockingly inexpensive, MI-Roger , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 05:07:52
- Re: I still don't understand all of the attraction, JerseySaab , Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:58:28
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Dean, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 09:29:47
- Why I buy used cars... and never first model years!, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:03:51
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 08:53:42
- Electric car fee, Finch, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:39:11
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 09:38:52
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:46:57
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:44:22
- Substantial??, A1-turbo, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:54:31
- EPA mileage vs real world, vvk, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:28:23
- Skewed comparisons, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:54:59
- Re: volt, Tom G , Tue, 18 Jul 2017 13:00:09
- Re: volt, Bill Homer, Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:10:44
- Re: Skewed comparisons, Snowmobile , Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:53:11
- Fuel cost savings changes by around $10, A1-turbo, Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:28:26
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, JerseySaab , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:46:12
- Re: OT: Irrational Exurbance?, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:05:39
- You are using outdated information, Bill Homer, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:27:36
- My premium comment was about the Audi, A1-turbo, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:21:58
- $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:07:53
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:01:28
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:06:33
- Re: $0.06/kWh ??? Where does this come from?, Justin VanAbrahams , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:13:59
- Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, dmz789qqq, Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:31:44
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Justin VanAbrahams , Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:14:52
- Southern California's Rates Doubled Over North Central California, DnstrDan , Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:41:33
- Yes, we are getting hosed. Most of CA is too., dmz789qqq, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 16:16:33
- Re: Does 8 c/kWh include everything? Are you sure?, Bill Homer, Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:01:09
- Re: You are using outdated information, Snowmobile , Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:10:41
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
|Button Ad Available
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | Run Club Menlo Park | ScreenBot
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!