the train? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Isn't that almost the equivalent of cars on a freeway acting in unison... but more efficient. Long established technology that takes up less space than big highways...
Getting to/from the train and one's exact destination can be an issue, especially if going from low/medium density to low/medium density locations, but there are a ton of commuters that just go into the downtown of a city every day. Public transit can often do that more efficiently.
I have an ee background, but I'm nervous about the effectiveness of autonomous vehicles networked together. Some bad connection in 1 car could cause as much or more disruption to the network as one human driver... there would need to be many redundancies. I think back to the Toyota "unintentional acceleration" incident, and in principle a computer could deal with that situation more reliably than the human who was behind the wheel did, but it also depends what goes wrong. It all sounds a little utopian to me.
The MIT article (link below in thread) addresses some of the issues with the trucks. I think for now, it's more of it can take some pressure off the driver, but it is true that this may become a driver for lower pay, longer hours, or whatnot. Truck automation is actually harder than with cars, but it is probably more valuable.
Posts in this Thread:
- What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Noel , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:01:20
- Scania in the forefront, Kristjan , Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:20:59
- I don't understand, TML , Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:58:54
- A boon for some, JerseySaab , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:08:39
- Exciting Yet Disruptive, DnstrDan , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:01:57
- the train?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:15:12 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, JimBlake , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:33
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:20:141
- Not a fan or believer, but............., MI-Roger , Sun, 18 Feb 2018 05:01:211
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, DickT , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:45:43
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!