Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles? - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
I don't use cruise control either, but that's primarily because it's an incomplete solution. If I have to pay attention to the steering wheel and other traffic, managing my right foot isn't that much more of a demand. I've never really understood what value "90% attention" really is. Sure, I've flipped on cruise for a minute or two to stretch my leg or whatever, but that's really the extent of it.
If there was a system that could 100% take over, I'm in. I'm a huge car enthusiast and in general a driving enthusiast, but there are much better uses of my time than sitting in traffic or keeping a car pointed down I5 for eight hours. That sucks. I'd far rather hit a button and read Saabnet, then re-engage when a get into the mountains or whatever. I'm fully looking forward to fully autonomous vehicles.
Still, given the way I buy cars even if one came out in 2019 it'd be 2030 before it ended up in my driveway... probably*. But I am looking forward to them for everyone else. All those call-making, burger-eating, kid-yelling "drivers" making left-lane exits off freeways and spontaneous u-turns because they blew their directions? Take them out of the equation. I can guarantee the result will be fewer crashes and smoother traffic. All it takes is one inattentive driver to ruin the commute for *everyone*. I'm a real big fan of making more people passengers.
* One future scenario which I find really interesting is renting out my AV. Maybe it drops me off at work and then drives for Lyft for a few hours, making me some money while I'm sitting in my office. That sounds pretty nice. Maybe my AV can pay for my vacation, then drive me to my vacation while I have a beer in the back seat. So many possibilities. And, frankly, I think I'm okay if eventually my daily driving is legislated over to my AV. It just means I'll need to set aside more time for track days, and that's where I'd rather be driving anyway.
posted by 12.195.130...
Posts in this Thread:
- What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Noel , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:01:20
- Scania in the forefront, Kristjan , Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:20:59
- I don't understand, TML , Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:58:54
- A boon for some, JerseySaab , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:08:39
- Exciting Yet Disruptive, DnstrDan , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:01:57
- the train?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:15:12
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, JimBlake , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:33
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:20:141
- Not a fan or believer, but............., MI-Roger , Sun, 18 Feb 2018 05:01:211
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, DickT , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:45:43
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 220.127.116.11 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!