I'd risk it... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
I'd risk it...
Posted by Cary (more from Cary) on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:39:56
In Reply to: Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, JimBlake [Profile/Gallery]
, Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:33
for limited parts of my often jammed commute. I'd be happy to push a button and
let a machine navigate a couple of miles of 4-lane stop-and-go traffic and beep
me when it gets above 25 mph. My guess is it'd be a bit timid so it would take
longer in the merges, but I'm willing to trade some time for some peace of mind.
My worry is that folks driving on their own would realize that autonomous cars
always yield and take advantage of it. You could get stuck at a merge for a
long while if you aren't willing to take a little risk. Well, sometimes in
my commute what seems like a significant risk -- you've got to trust the other
driver is paying attention.
Not sure if I'd be able to turn over the wheel and start reading a book at
70 on the highway just yet.
Another worry is that if the drive aids get really good insurance companies are
going to jack up the rates for older cars without them. Insurance companies have
a lot of dollars on the line, I think watching how they respond will provide
clues to how it's going to pan out in the long run.
It will be fascinating to see how it all turns out.
posted by 38.104.58...
Posts in this Thread:
- What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Noel , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:01:20
- Scania in the forefront, Kristjan , Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:20:59
- I don't understand, TML , Wed, 21 Feb 2018 07:58:54
- A boon for some, JerseySaab , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:08:39
- Exciting Yet Disruptive, DnstrDan , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:01:57
- the train?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:15:12
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, JimBlake , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:44:33
- I'd risk it..., Cary, Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:39:56 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, Snowmobile , Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:20:141
- Not a fan or believer, but............., MI-Roger , Sun, 18 Feb 2018 05:01:211
- Re: What is your take on Autonomous Vehicles?, DickT , Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:45:43
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!