Yes (part II) - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Yes (part II)
Posted by Ari [Email] (more from Ari) on Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:14:35
In Reply to: Should I Go With a MAC?, NJWayne, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:21:50
Full disclaimer - I love Macs, and have been using Apples since the early 80's.
I have a Windows (XP) machine from work, with all the firewalls and tech support that a Fortune 500 company can provide. I've got a variety of Macs at home.
Yes, Macs are less prone to viruses and malware. Even with all the company firewalls, we've had a few PC viruses get through. I'm glad a lot of very expensive help was available to fix it.
Bottom line - my Mac hardware and software just plain works better. The Mac starts up and shuts down faster. Mac Apps launch faster and run better. It's just plain easier to do it on a Mac. I restart my Mac Laptop about once a year; if I don't restart my work laptop every couple of days, bad things happen.
Yes, there are programs available on a PC you can't get on a Mac. You can do most anything on a Mac, you just might not have as many choices. However, with any of the modern Intel Macs, you can always run Windows and run any PC program you want.
So if you get a Mac, you get a wonderful Mac. And you can still run PC programs on Windows if you want.
Yes, PC hardware costs less. I've heard people complain about Mac hardware, but usually without much backup. In over 20 years of owning Macs, I've never had a hardware fault. Never. I can't say that for my work PCs.
If you want a cheap (which is a loaded term for inexpensive computer), you can't beat a PC. For a quality product, a Mac doesn't cost more than a quality PC, and I beleive it runs better.
Everyone says that Windows 7 is the operating system Vista was supposed to be. I haven't played much with Vista, but XP doesn't measure up to OSX in terms of ease of use or stability. Yes, you can do a lot with XP if you really want to - the same is true of OSX. Fiddling 'under the hood' requires a bit of expertise in both. The nice part about the Mac OSX is that you don't need to be an expert to make stuff happen.
I strongly support you buying a Mac. Go for it.
posted by 192.249.47...
Posts in this Thread:
- Should I Go With a MAC?, NJWayne, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:21:50
- Had two Macbooks "die" within 30 days of buying, Jeff Bartlett, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:52:23
- Going With a MAC! Thanks for Your Comments!, NJWayne, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:49:17
- Happy Apple Customer Here, lowbar, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:19:10
- Macs are Saabs. PCs are Volvos, mag , Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:18:03
- Absolutely, David, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:05:38
- Re: Should I Go With a MAC?, Gargoyle, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:25:05
- Mac's are for freaks and geeks, newwithasaab, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:45:26
- Freaks and geeks? Gimme a break., Noel , Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:22:58
- OK, add video, newwithasaab, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:57:07
- Troll, David, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:10:15
- newwithasaab must have been underground, David, Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:56:53
- Yes (part II), Ari, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:14:35 <-- Viewing This Message
- Yes., Larry West , Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:43:35
- Few reasons not to., Noel , Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:28:27
- Re: Should I Go With a MAC?, Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:25:39
- Macs are wonderful..., Scott Paterson , Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:44:32
- Re: Should I Go With a MAC?, turbocon86, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:50:17
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!