Interesting parts pricing perspective... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
11/22 Member of the Year Voting
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
So I'm not a tech, I have a great indy + do some of my own DIY work. When GM reorganized + SAAB went bankrupt the first time (or whatever, when GM tossed them out prior to the sale to Spyker), most of the Saab dealers up here closed (or changed to used saab dealers) and GM transferred the rights to Saab parts and service to other GM dealers. In my case, that meant a Chevy/Caddy dealer. Didn't sound great. Anyway, I was doing an exhaust, had already ordered it from eeuro, but then discovered I also needed a new heat shield (for a c900). For a lark I called up the Chevy dealer and gave them a saab part number. They got it for me in a week for $100. Same price as eeuro. I bought a few other parts from them and pricing was great + it turns out they were giving me "trade pricing" automatically - must have assumed I was an indy since I just gave them p/n's over the phone. After the Spyker sale went through, I discovered my other c900 needed a heat shield also (bloody salt on the roads in winter!)... so I called them up again but they said I had to go through our reinstated Saab dealer. $190 was the cost there - almost double! This was only a month or 2 later! I bought it from eeuro instead for $100 (plus a few other bits to get free shipping)... Eventually I managed to negotiate a 10% discount from my Saab dealer when I needed to get a few dealer specific items (keys etc), so that was nice, but way more than the Chevy dealer charged... the prices at the saab dealer were generally exorbitant and so I buy everything online now... The Chevy dealer had tons of sales of cars + trucks + parts so they aren't as dependent on a huge markup on parts to cover the building. The Saab dealer was empty most of the time + probably rarely sold anything, so hence the big markup to make all they could to cover their costs. eeuro pricing (then anyway, and much of it is the same) reflects "trade pricing" from a dealer here (so I use them a lot). fwiw, eeuro lists Anil's pump for about the trade price an indy would normally pay from the dealer, but it's unavailable to purchase - ie they don't have any and can't get any.
My point is that Justin and Chad (and other indies) are doing the right thing given the times to keep cars on the road. If you need to get parts through them, it will cost more, but they are providing a valuable service. If you can find the parts cheaper yourself, go do it... for an indy, selling parts over the internet is rarely big business + if we deal with them this way on a regular basis, they will hoard the parts for their own clients + the option will no longer be there for the rest of us at any price even if we are desperate!
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, Nader, Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:47:36
- Re: The smoking gun!, 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:44:39
- Re: The smoking gun!, Anil, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:47:02
- dude...get it through your thick skull...., Rizzlius, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:34:49
- Re: The smoking gun!, rob , Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:07:11
- Come on now, I have been accused of, Reality, Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:01:46
- Re: The smoking gun!, Snowmobile , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:07:07
- Re: The smoking gun!, HudsonValleySaabGuy, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:54:55
- Re: The smoking gun!, TML , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:43:40
- LOLZ! "Most are independent parts dealers like him", turrbo , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:04:34
- I bet you're actually thinking this is working., John Myers, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:00:04
- Re: wt actual f?, 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:54:24
- keep flogging that dead horse... nm, Simon S, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:51:47
- So now you're threatening to slander this entire site?, Chadwick , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:36:14
- hello from independent parts consumer from Mordor (n/m), Siegfried, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:04:32
- Wow, thanks for finding that!, Chadwick , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:49:59
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, Judge Judy, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:23:28
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, turbocon86, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:51:49
- Re: Simply SAAB? Simply not for me, JustinHiFi , Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:40:49
- Re: Daniel/Nader don't you know..., 93Vector, Fri, 22 Jun 2012 05:53:36
- David/Anil getting more friends to post for them?, turrbo , Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:57:20
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 188.8.131.52 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!