Performance sure, but... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Performance sure, but...
Posted by Craig [Email] (more from Craig) on Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:10:41
In Reply to: No, really - more and more performance, Bill Homer, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 05:39:43
...when you're not trying to knock .3 second off you 0-60 times a lot of these transmissions just suck for regular use. They're probably a fine idea for a Porsche, but I rent cars regularly for work and I can almost always tell when a car has one of these automatic-manual things. The Ford Focus is a great car ruined by one of these stupid transmissions for example. A friend who knows nothing about cars was concerned his rental has something wrong with it, but it just had one of these transmissions. I'd much rather have a conventional automatic (which have gotten a lot better) or even gasp a CVT (which have also gotten a lot better) than one of these things at this point. I'm sure they'll continue to improve over time but I also worry about the longevity of all the solenoids and whatnot, and well as a clutch that is surely getting abused trying to smooth out the stupid things to regular automatic levels. I agree that a manual is about driving pleasure and not performance these days, but off the track I think a good regular automatic is probably the better second choice.
posted by 72.130.132...
Posts in this Thread:
- Considering '14 Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts?, AlexA, Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:56:30
- I considered the same thing!, STICKMAN, Mon, 31 Mar 2014 06:56:05
- Re: Considering '14 Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts?, AdamSAAB2kAero , Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:19:58
- Dart, Ultimated , Thu, 27 Mar 2014 05:01:15
- Fart, AdamSAAB2kAero , Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:17:02
- Re:, jeff, Sun, 30 Mar 2014 01:57:11
- Re: Re:, Ultimated , Mon, 31 Mar 2014 05:12:44
- Re: Fart, Justin VanAbrahams , Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:36:04
- Should have named it "Scoreggia", Steve T, Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:58:05
- Thanks everyone for all of the feedback..., AlexA, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:41:16
- Re: Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts? Pet Peeve, Dave Chicago, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:53:46
- If Accord, consider the V-6/manual, vvk, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 06:25:36
- 2 door is a great looking car, AdamD, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 05:58:14
- Re: Considering '14 Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts?, No Snaab, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 05:05:21
- Just got 14 LX model, Vicsaero95, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 04:28:36
- I wouldn't even rent a GM, ponytrekker, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:36:56
- Re: Considering '14 Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts?, EGD , Tue, 25 Mar 2014 01:41:07
- Re: Considering '14 Accord 'Sport' 6spd Manual...nuts?, LI_Dave, Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:44:52
- shifting is over rated.....more and more performance, K-Saab , Tue, 25 Mar 2014 03:56:26
- Re: shifting is over rated.....more and more performance, AdamSAAB2kAero , Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:39:22
- No, really - more and more performance, Bill Homer, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 05:39:43
- Performance vs Enjoyment, AlexA, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:39:49
- Performance vs Enjoyment, Name Left Blank, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:34:16
- Performance sure, but..., Craig, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:10:41 <-- Viewing This Message
- Upkeep, AdamSAAB2kAero , Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:43:12
- Re: shifting is over rated.....more and more performance, Zach, Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:24:30
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!