Re: Curved TV's - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
[Main General Bulletin Board | Post Followup | BBFAQ ]
[ Prev by Date ] [ Next by Date ] Member Login / Signup [Latest Member Gallery Photos]
Re: Curved TV's
Posted by jeff in MD [Email] (more from jeff in MD) on Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:09:39
In Reply to: Curved TV's, Mike Lynch [Profile/Gallery]
, Sat, 4 Oct 2014 11:32:29
Love that you specified "color" TV? :)
The curved screen originated as a differentiating feature for the first of the high cost OLED models. Differentiating in that the TV industry realized that nearly everyone already has an HDTV so the 10 year long boom in sales was winding down so they needed something (aside from generically improved picture quality) to make this new, expensive technology stand out. So they curved it. Higher end LCDs with curved screens quickly followed.
In theory, the curved screen will look better from a particular seating area, dead center and at a certain distance since the curve will tend to make all portions of the screen an equal distance from your eyes and eliminate some perspective effects. Effects which you've never noticed in your life because they're very minor on all but the biggest screens from very close.
On the downside that same curve will make the TV look worse from pretty much every other seating position, introducing perspective errors and making the old ones worse.
So yeah the curve is a gimmick. Unless you're making a 1 man theater room (in which case you'll want more than 55") skip it.
4k is sort of a gimmick too but the thing now is that all of the higher end LCD type TVs will have it, so you may get it anyway if you're looking for certain features or price point.
Posts in this Thread:
- Curved TV's, Mike Lynch , Sat, 4 Oct 2014 11:32:29
- Re: Curved TV's - I hate them, AdamB , Thu, 9 Oct 2014 15:16:47
- Re: Curved TV's, andym, Tue, 7 Oct 2014 18:06:01
- It's all gimmickery., B Millar , Mon, 6 Oct 2014 06:29:32
- Apple TV, AdamSAAB2kAero , Sun, 5 Oct 2014 11:28:54
- Samsung ehh, that's funny, SWEDECAR , Sun, 5 Oct 2014 18:05:28
- I refer to this company as Samsuck. nm, ryan , Mon, 6 Oct 2014 21:43:38
- Re: Samsung ehh, that's funny, EGD , Mon, 6 Oct 2014 08:50:36
- Counterfeit Chinese parts stream to blame?, Snowmobile , Mon, 6 Oct 2014 03:00:10
- Re: Samsung ehh, that's funny, AdamSAAB2kAero , Mon, 6 Oct 2014 00:06:34
- Re: Curved TV's, Craig, Sat, 4 Oct 2014 14:00:42
- Re: Curved TV's, jeff in MD, Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:09:39 <-- Viewing This Message
- 4k, vvk, Sat, 4 Oct 2014 19:21:01
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!