look at your 2 lists... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
10/20 Breaking News: SAAB Opens Plant in Indiana |
10/13 Saabnet.com Celebrates 33 Years on the Internet! |
9/29 Photo of the Year Open Submissions
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
One list, for me anyway, is a list of cars that are interesting, unique, desirable to own. The other is a list of car brands that mostly offered uninteresting cars that are not that different from other stuff in the market. Is it any wonder why the boring list is gone and the interesting list is coming back? In the higher price ranges, uniqueness is really important to many buyers.
So isn't it pretty simple? Massive lack of financial resources aside, what SAAB needs (needed for the past decade) was a unique iconic car like they used to have with the c900, or some of the predecessors of the c900... that uniqueness slowly got stripped from the brand by GM and the SAAB buying demographic shifted from folks buying SAABs for unique qualities to folks buying SAABs as a value proposition vs The Germans. This pretty much says it all: Former owners of my c900 traded it in on a Subaru. Former owners of my 9-5 traded it in on a Hyundai. Unique features hatch, vs Value proposition sedan.
I am certain that if someone with really really deep pockets wanted to come in and build a SAAB that was freakin' awesome (hatchback!!), they could market the brand and be successful worldwide within some niche just like Mini or Maserati are successful within their own niches (or Porsche 911). Those cars are all icons as was the c900. The trouble is, nobody like that is really coming forward. All we are seeing is bottom feeders, or folks with ambition, but inadequate funding. Sad.
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Mahindra buys NEVS, ryan , Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:12:27
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, EGD , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:54:47
- but if Peugeot can do it..., saintgallen, Thu, 4 Dec 2014 08:35:02
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, Henri L , Wed, 3 Dec 2014 08:02:04
- Scion, A1-turbo, Wed, 3 Dec 2014 09:56:42
- Every dog has his day, No Snaab, Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:22:02
- Gengas, DickT , Wed, 3 Dec 2014 14:28:59
- "IF" they had come out with a electric car, SWEDECAR , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:34:45
- Re:, Snowmobile , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:36:18
- Re: Every dog has his day. Yep., Noel , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:56:45
- A few things, Snowmobile , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:39:12
- Well put! nm, Scott Paterson , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:19:00
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, SWEDECAR , Mon, 1 Dec 2014 21:37:57
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, Ian Glenday , Mon, 1 Dec 2014 18:18:50
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, Scott Paterson , Mon, 1 Dec 2014 15:18:21
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, Steve T, Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:55:01
- Re: Mahindra buys NEVS, ryan , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 00:25:08
- Saab Technology is not needed, Dean, Tue, 2 Dec 2014 10:27:06
- SAAB needs to do something really different to survive, EAnderson, Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:31:36
- you are correct, ryan , Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:04:43
- Alfa Technology, Bill Homer, Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:18:02
- Re: Saab Technology, BobS, Tue, 2 Dec 2014 10:45:25
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 18.104.22.168 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!