Yes and no - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
Site News -
7/20 New Member Feature: Fewer Ads in Classifieds & More |
7/20: Saab Convention Photos |
7/11: Saab Photo of the Year Winners |
New Feature: BB Daily Digest Email
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Anyone can use Wordpress but to draw an increasing number of readers and keep them coming back is a much bigger undertaking. That requires an constant stream of new and compelling content, which these days should be written, audio and video. Getting and keeping those eyeballs is a major and continual challenge.
Then you have to monetize the whole thing, because otherwise you are doing all the work for free. So you have to attract advertisers, which is an ongoing effort. And advertisers are fickle and the revenue from web advertising, unless the site is a strong lead generator, can be widely variable.
This is not to say it can't be done, but an online publication that is meant to drive a profit and make money is not as simple as putting up some articles and blogs in Wordpress.
Of course you can do it as aa way to get media access to events in a given industry and as a write off for some junkets that support the site (a friend does this) but making some money is not an unreasonable goal, given the time and effort a professional publication requires.
I've been on both the print and web sides of this, so I do have a feeling of how they work.
1999 9-3 SE auto (daily driver)
1996 9000 CSE 5 speed (soon to leave)
2003 9-5 Linear SportWagon (wife's)
1984 C900 4 door Base model (RIP)
1995 9000 CS (sold)
1996 9000 CS (RIP)
2000 9-3 SE (RIP)
Posts in this Thread:
- OT: Hemmings (spit!)...Cry?...Curse?...Both?, MI-Roger , Sat, 18 Mar 2017 16:40:12
- Strange choice to cancel this one..., Tulsaab , Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:11:00
- A sad day indeed...Highlights, GFW3pedals , Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:32:53
- Publishing is a weird business., Noel , Sun, 19 Mar 2017 07:34:23
- Re: Publishing is a weird business., Ted, Sun, 9 Apr 2017 19:23:04
- Modern publishing though may not be so bad to get into..., Snowmobile , Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:30:16
- Yes and no, Noel , Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:00:10 <-- Viewing This Message
- Re: Publishing is a weird business., JerseySaab , Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:13:35
- My suspicions although I know nothing about publishing, MI-Roger , Sun, 19 Mar 2017 08:11:54
- Wow! Sad. A great magazine., K-Saab , Sun, 19 Mar 2017 03:54:00
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 126.96.36.199 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!