Save Yourself $10K... - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Books Movies & Music |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
Unless you’re going to fully-utilize the off-road capability a 4Runner offers on a REGULAR basis (i.e., a few times/month or more), I’d go with a used Toyota Venza. You can get AWD, a decent looking interior, and plenty of room inside. Plus, you’ll save about $10K in the process.
Almost every off-road vehicle owner I know, even here in the California desert with fireroads and trails galore, goes off road at most about once or twice per year and laments the added cost of their overly-capable vehicles.
As for trade-in value, yes, that $4K will vanish at trade-in. Unless you trade the vehicle in with less than 75K on the odometer, you won’t find a dealer who’ll pay for that extra cost, if at all. They’re the pros and they will make it up on either your trade or the cost of the vehicle you’re buying. Private party sales are the way to go.
Finally, IMHO, if a mere $4K extra on a purchase north of $31K is a ‘bit of a stretch’ you really need to look at a lower priced vehicle. The rule of thumb I’ve always followed is if you can’t pay off a car loan in 36 months you need to look at something less expensive. The six and seven (!) year loans out there are nuts, especially for a used car that’s already four years old.
Posts in this Thread:
- Buying a new car, advice?, Finch, Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:45:16
- Another suggestion, vvk, Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:17:45
- Weird, vvk, Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:10:06
- Re: Buying new car,advice? buy an Alfa Romeo Giulia w/ 4WD, neil dale , Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:53:011
- Re: Buying a new car, advice? thats not a" car" , it's a truck,SUV, neil dale , Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:58:50
- Volvo XC70, Vlado, Wed, 13 Dec 2017 18:14:111
- Save Yourself $10K..., EGD , Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:54:47 <-- Viewing This Message
- Fly under the radar - Lexus GX, AeroBaron, Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:11:28
- Re: Buying a new car, advice?, Craig, Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:09:36
- Re: Buying a new car, advice?, No Snaab, Tue, 12 Dec 2017 09:37:22
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 22.214.171.124 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!