You're not wrong. - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
The banner above is an advertisment - if it asks you to download software, please ignore.
Site News -
2/5 Saabnet.com T-Shirts All Sent Out! Last Call! |
1/6 Saab Owners' Convention 2023
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
The truth of the matter is probably only that GM turned a natural death into 20 years of torture. Saab was obviously not a healthy company in 1990 and its future a bit dubious, but at that moment in time they probably held at least some attraction as an acquisition, and it seems like GM's move was mostly defensive and not as a benefactor. They stepped in so nobody else could. Which, you know, sort of played out two more times with GM creating roadblocks for other owners which ultimately prove unnavigable.
GM's 1990 business *could* have been a positive for Saab. BMW was obviously winning, but Mercedes was having some problems reinventing itself, Audi was still hurt from the bogus SUA publicity, after years of "boxy but good" Volvo was trying to figure out what to do next, and Lexus showed up waving a knife. The market was crazy, and Saab probably had an opportunity. But GM wouldn't let Saab be Saab nor would they provide the tools needed for Saab to be a Swedish Audi. GM's purchase was life support *at best* and ended with a strong dose of too little too late.
So, yeah, maybe GM didn't murder Saab per se, but hooking up the life support machine just to be the one that pulls the plug later on AND prevents the family from changing hospitals? It's still at least a bit murdery.
posted by 66.60.157...
Posts in this Thread:
Members do not see ads below this line. - Help Keep This Site Online - Signup
- Anatomy of a Murder: How Saab Was Sent to an Early Grave, Scott Paterson , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 10:04:18
- Great Discussion: Comments and a Question, Aero51 , Sat, 2 Mar 2019 09:53:15
- It's bigger than GM, Bloodnose , Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:43:431
- Not a bad article..., JerseySaab , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:08:511
- Re: Not a bad article... it's a really bad article, Keith, Mon, 18 Feb 2019 09:02:562
- You're not wrong., Justin VanAbrahams , Mon, 18 Feb 2019 10:59:02 <-- Viewing This Message3
- Re: Not a bad article..., EGD , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:28:161
- Saab discounts, A1-turbo, Sat, 16 Feb 2019 05:45:10
- Re: Not a bad article..., JerseySaab , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:55:25
- Re: Not a bad article..., Scott Paterson , Fri, 15 Feb 2019 18:34:22
- Too far ahead of their time like Tesla, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:27:591
- Hatchbacks ahead of their time..., Scott Paterson , Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:07:551
- Re: Hatchbacks, A1-turbo, Wed, 20 Feb 2019 06:01:36
- 2nd car = Rabbit, Scott Paterson , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:56:54
- Re: Hatchbacks, Dave The Ice Age Knave , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 09:52:44
- +1, mlc , Wed, 20 Feb 2019 06:49:16
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
|Jak Stoll Performance
|Button Ad Available
Random Saabnet.com Member Gallery Photos (Click Image)
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Poverty2Prosperity.org | Run Club Menlo Park | ScreenBot
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!