Re: simplicity - Saab General Bulletin Board - Saabnet.com
NG900 & OG93 |
Vintage Models |
Clubs & SOC |
Other Cars |
Member Photo Galleries |
Member Directory |
*Buddy Registry |
*Mileage Registry |
What's New |
Photo of the Month |
The main issue with electric cars today is the same problem they had during their initial spurt of popularity in the early 20th century - the problem of a portable source of electric power that is truly competitive with gasoline-powered cars in terms of cost, energy density, longevity, and recharge. (To compare with filling a gasoline tank in a few minutes that's a hell of a lot of electricity to transfer in a short period of time!) The lithium-ion battery does not really fill the bill, it is a stopgap.
Saving money on maintenance would certainly be a good thing, but not when you're looking at much higher initial cost for the vehicle and the near certainty of a hugely expensive battery replacement down the road. Additionally, a complexity specific to Tesla is that what is supposed to be "your car" is so tightly tethered to the manufacturer that the factory can make changes remotely on the fly to basic functionality. I certainly don't want that.
Lithium-ion batteries do take the electric car out of the 1970s glorified golf-cart stage to where they're somewhat practical under specific limited conditions. They're not competitive at all with the characteristics or cost of a gasoline-powered car though.
I'm sure at some point that will change but we're not anywhere near there yet. Since I'm not interested in going into debt for a car, for me electric cars will not "arrive" until I can purchase a fully-functional old one that will yield the same utility as an old Saab for a couple or few grand without the need to sink a huge amount of money into a new battery. I'm not holding my breath for that one.
->Posting last edited on Sat, 18 May 2019 05:51:02.
Posts in this Thread:
- Thanks to Saab Members | World Changing Tech, Navid S, Tue, 14 May 2019 02:09:551
- Re: Thanks to Saab Members | World Changing Tech, TML , Thu, 16 May 2019 09:19:09
- Advertising / Self-Promotion, EGD , Wed, 15 May 2019 13:20:431
- Also see Mehdi and practical induction for EVs, Bloodnose , Tue, 14 May 2019 08:21:28
- No interest in EVs here, JerseySaab , Tue, 14 May 2019 19:23:27
- WTF am I going to do..., Scott Paterson , Wed, 15 May 2019 16:52:29
- Interest in EVs here, but they don't yet meet our needs, MI-Roger , Wed, 15 May 2019 08:30:19
- BMW, Bloodnose , Wed, 15 May 2019 10:32:22
- Re: No interest in EVs here, Bloodnose , Tue, 14 May 2019 19:30:31
- Re:YOU SAID THAT ABOUT SMARTPHONES TOO, Navid S, Wed, 15 May 2019 08:26:44
- Re: No interest in EVs here, JerseySaab , Tue, 14 May 2019 19:56:13
- Ditto: No interest in EVs here, Notnoel , Wed, 15 May 2019 07:32:32
- Re: Ditto: No interest in EVs here OK, neil dale , Thu, 16 May 2019 22:45:46
- Re: Ditto: No interest in EVs here OK, JerseySaab , Fri, 17 May 2019 14:01:26
- simplicity, Snowmobile , Sat, 18 May 2019 03:58:49
- Re: simplicity, JerseySaab , Sat, 18 May 2019 05:48:33 <-- Viewing This Message
- We'll see how the EV experiment goes, Notnoel , Fri, 17 May 2019 06:33:51
- Re:yes we have interest in EVs here !, neil dale , Thu, 16 May 2019 00:47:281
- Free?, JerseySaab , Thu, 16 May 2019 14:10:27
Post a Followup
No Site Registration is Required to Post - Site Membership is optional (Member Features List), but helps to keep the site online
for all Saabers. If the site helps you, please consider helping the site by becoming a member.
This is a moderated bulletin board - Posting is a privilege, not a right.
Unsolicited commercial postings are not allowed (no spam). Please, no For Sale or Wanted postings, SERIOUSLY.
Classifieds are to be listed in The Saab Network Classifieds pages.
This is a problem solving forum for over 250,000 Saab owners, so expect to see
problems discussed here even though our cars are generally very reliable. This is not an anything goes
type of forum. Saabnet.com has been a moderated forum since 1988. For usage guidelines, see the
Saabnet.com Mission and Purpose Page. Please remember that you are
not anonymous. Site Contact | Site Donations | Other Sites by SP -
Your address is: 184.108.40.206 - Using CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) - Logged.
Site Members do not see red text instructions, bottom of the page anchor ads, or box ads.
Click here to see all
the Site Membership Benefits!